Wild Garlic is out

UKPoacher

• 4 weeks later...

What do you guys use it for? We have some growing near us but to my shame I've never tried it, is it just a salad thing or do you cook with it?

You can eat leaves and stems in a salad, but it cooks well too. Goes really well with lamb, and I bet it would work with venison too.

I just ate some with this evening's dinner, Spring lamb chump chops (get them a good inch or more thick) with butter, chopped rosemary and wild garlic.

Preheat oven to Gas Mark 7

Chop up some rosemary, and grind pepper over the meat. You need a good handful of garlic leaves for two people.

Get a heavy pan, heat a little olive oil, and fry the chops 2 or 3 mins each side to get a nice colour, then put them in a tray and stick them in the oven for 10 to 15 mins (depending on how rare you want them). I also threw in some previously boiled new potatoes and carrots into the tray.

Put a generous couple of k n o b s of butter into the frying pan and heat so it melts fully, don't let it burn. Put the herbs in and fry till the leaves wilt and darken, and take off the heat.

Serve it all up, dressing the chops with the buttery herbs, and pour any spare butter over whatever green veg you may want to have with this. I did peas and brocolli, filled the plate nicely. :)

Edited by john_r