pheasant trap

You would be breaking the law now as you can only catch up during the shooting season. Rabbit wire is ok for catch traps.

He would not be breaking the law, you can catch up anytime. If you could only catch up in the shooting season, the season would finish a fortnight earlier as all the keepers would be catching up? What if birds escaped from the laying pen, do you just leave them. No you go and catch them.

He would not be breaking the law, you can catch up anytime. If you could only catch up in the shooting season, the season would finish a fortnight earlier as all the keepers would be catching up? What if birds escaped from the laying pen, do you just leave them. No you go and catch them.

Are you 100% sure of your facts here?

Edited by Browning

I always thought you can only legally catch up in the season but not many people take notice of this. Likewise some people shooting cocks just out of season more as 'pest control'.

Quite a few keepers bash cocks on the head and take them to the game dealer when catching up.

At the end of the day people have been doing it for decades and you never hear of any problems with the law. The game laws are so archaic in this country, shooting game on a Sunday for instance.

Hey lads need to trap a few pheasants that are around the house..

Whats the best type of trap i could make for doing this, i have a few sheets of 1 inch mesh already

To answer your original question, you need to make something like a large lobster pot big enough to a few birds we built a triangular thing like a small chicken coop IE a triangle at each end joined with 3 battons a manhole in one side and an entrance tube in one end, bait it with something they can see :- sweet corn peanuts etc.

good luck let us know how you get on.

Tony A.

If you need anymore let me know and i can take a few of different angles tomorrow they work very well for all sort crows jays and ducks

Mark

do you make them mark, any pictures you have would be great even measurements or materials would be a huge help

1st time for me. Catching up to breed my own (Late Feb/March). As I understand, the actual law, is supposed to be in season, but I know of NO keeper who does this, wait till same time as me.

I just used some old, small partridge sections, ie, about 8'x 4' in a square, roofed off and a door. Cut 8"x6" hole at ground level and fed up inside and entrance with corn. When corn inside, going consistantly, wired in a tunnel. Got what I wanted in 3 days.

As far as shooting out of season. It has been know to happen :rolleyes:. Cocks from "outside", enticing hens away.

As Amatex says, "At the end of the day people have been doing it for decades and you never hear of any problems with the law".

It's just they way of a gamekeepers life, like or loath it!

If you don't shoot game, don't complain, stick to your mud pies :P

It is illegal to 'take' game by any means out of season or on a Sunday or Christmas Day. Trapping out of season is illegal.

Game Act [1831]

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Will4/1-2/32/section/3

I can't see the exclusion for birds that just happen to be annoying you in the garden so the law doesn't apply.

Maybe it's about time this act was ammended(game act 1831). Every Gamekeeper I know, catches up at the end of the season, probably been doing so for 170 years since the act was introduced. If they had to catch up during the shooting season they'd lose the last couple of weeks of the season trying to catch up. I think a lot of the laws on shooting and gamekeeping need looking at(this one for example) and bringing up to date.

It is illegal to 'take' game by any means out of season or on a Sunday or Christmas Day. Trapping out of season is illegal.

Game Act [1831]

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Will4/1-2/32/section/3

I can't see the exclusion for birds that just happen to be annoying you in the garden so the law doesn't apply.

Having read the link, it refers to killing and taking, I would have thought `taking` refers to removal of, ie from the place where it/they live, surely to catch and contain in that place for the purpose of egg collection and then release to the same place doesn`t constitute `taking`,

As in `stealing` you have to intend to permanently deprive the owner of items taken, to be guilty of theft

Having read the link, it refers to killing and taking, I would have thought `taking` refers to removal of, ie from the place where it/they live, surely to catch and contain in that place for the purpose of egg collection and then release to the same place doesn`t constitute `taking`,

As in `stealing` you have to intend to permanently deprive the owner of items taken, to be guilty of theft

Then you would be wrong.