Best springer?

Farmer-of-the-Futre

Well guys think its time to get a new gun. Just missed 3 rabbits with the gamo shadow. I just cant hit anything with it anymore, the recoil seems alot worse than it used to be too :angry: i will have another go at zeroing it tomorow and hopefully have better luck on the bunnies. Oh an i missed a pigeon at about 15 yrds :/ my shooting, both shotgun and airrifle has gone to pot :no: should i be blaming the gun or what is going on!? i noticed when i mount the shadow that my chin almost rests on the cheek pad rather then my cheek :huh: and does anyone know weather the hunter carbine version of the tx200 is much of a difference with the shorter barrel?

There are some good suggestions on this thread but, as one other person mentioned, your best bet is to actually handle a few and find out what suits you; all the advice of "buy X or Y or Z, it's the best" means nowt if the rifle doesn't feel right to you.

Quality wise, you won't go far wrong with either Air Arms or HW springers. They will all do the job, although some people prefer the semi-tuned feel of the AA 'out of the box' compared to HW which do benefit from being tuned properly. My personal preference is HW, just because I like the feel and the balance really. I have owned several TX200's including 2 TX200HC and loads of HW's.

As I said, they will all do the job in the field but I would say that if you are going to stay legal limit then .177 would be my choice calibre wise. There is little to choose between the underlevers (TX200/HW79K) so it will be personal choice there. AA no longer do a break barrel so unless you want to find a Pro Sport (which may still be over budget for a good un 2nd hand) then HW would be my 1st choice (over the likes of BSA etc., older Brum Webleys excepted). If you want something a bit lighter then the HW95K is a superb rifle; it'll respond well to tuning and is good in either calibre, though .177 will probably feel a bit 'lively' on recoil. My (personal again) choice though would be the HW80K. Heavy, yes but they will last a lifetime and really were built for the pest control job.

The 80 was actually designed to run at higher power levels so does benefit from a good tune, though you need to be careful not to go over limit if you don't have it on FAC. Again, if staying legal limit then I'd go for .177 (for the flatter trajectory) and get it tuned properly from the likes of V-MACH, Dave Hall or maybe Sandwell Feildsports, it's a bit of extra money and although not essential it is well worth it in my opinion. I've had several 80's but my current one is .22 and on my FAC running at 20fpe. It was tuned by Dave Hall and gives superb consistency (3fps over a 30 shot chrono string) and accuracy with a good wallop at the end. The extra power means I have almost a .177 trajectory over sensible airgun ranges but with extra clout.

There are some good rifles to be had and plently of top quality tuned rifles come up 2nd hand within your budget, so don't discount that option rather than just buying brand new. As said though, the best advice of all is for you to go and handle a few and see which feels best to you- it might not be the one you had at the top of your shortlist! ;)

ATB

Paul

Thanks for the replies. I have decided that i am more likely to stay break barrel. as much as i would like an underleaver it just seems that i may aswell get a pcp (i do realise that they will be alot more expensive with kit, gas ect.) but two of my mates have got the bsa lightning xl and cant fault it. if im going to a sub 12ft/lbs sringer than i feel that that or the hw80 would be a good choice. can anyone say anything bad about the lighting xl other than it wont be as accutrate as a pcp? for a break barrel it seems pretty good and i love the cosmetics of the whole gun. Mabey not so much the full barrel silencer but if i will have the gun for a long time i dont want one i dont like the look of :/

Farmer of future.

Where are you based?

I have both a BSA lightening XL and HW 90,you are welcome to try them 'back to back' if you wish.

BSA is very compact/light/easy to carry but I think harder to shoot straight.The HW is bigger/heavier but very impressive bit of German engineering and consistent/easier to group/shoot with.

They are very different guns...Hw90 is bit like hw80 in proportions but is Gas ram(break barrel but you compress gas not a spring)and I think much smoother than regular hw80.

I am West Sussex if you wish to have a test of both guns not a problem,as it would appear from your last post you are between these 2 guns seems rude not to offer..

ATB.

Guest cookoff013

IMO an HW80 is still hard to beat in a break barrel rifle!If you want an underlever rifle then a HW97, HW77 or TX200 are difficult to beat in your price range!I'd go for the HW80 myself-Cracking rifle!!

+1

i chopped and changed my gun every season. then i got an 80. have never looked back. vmach out the box and i`ve kept it for 3 years.

• 4 months later...

Ok I will give you my tuppence worth.

I use a HW 97KT very very good accurate gun ,the airarms tx's are also very good the prosport too I have had them all and prefer my HW97 though.

Having said that they are a very heavy gun as are the airarms ones not sure how old you are but they may be a bit much,and as you say you are now wanting a break barrel the one I would go for would be the HW95K it's a nice weight to carry about all day, comes already with perhaps the best silencer on the market is full legal limit and very accurate and best of all you should get a new one around your budget.

As for the BSA lightning they will not hold a candle to a HW spring gun for accuracy or the amount of punishment it will take before falling to bits ( I had one for 6 months and sold it as it was rubbish),get a HW and if you look after it you have a gun for life.

As for 177 or 22 I shoot 177 and they are much more forgiving on range estimation so less room for error.

A 177 size hole in a rabbits head (which is where you should be shooting them) will kill it just as dead as a 22 size hole !

Edited by fenboy