Caesar Guerini Summit Sporting 12 g - Experience / Opinions?

DonnyB

I shoot clays and have generally only used borrowed Berettas. Now ready to buy my own gun I headed out to get a new Silver Pigeon 1 sporting but my head was turned by the Caesar Guerini range. I have kinda fell for a new Summit 30" Sporting (the silver version - as below). A bit more expensive than the SilPig 1 but it looks / feels great and I am looking for a 'keeper'.

Not had chance to shoot one yet but has anyone experience etc of these?

post-30145-0-13586500-1301810332.jpg

post-30145-0-64128100-1301810887.jpg

Edited by DonnyB

I used to own a Caesar Guerini Summit. I've got to say it was probably the best quality gun I've owned. I traded in a Browning UltraXS for it, and in my opinion the Caesar Guerini was a much better built gun. The only reason that I sold it was because I bought one with 32" barrels, which was the trend at the time, and I regretted it straight away. If I'd bought one with 30" barrels, I'd more than likely still have it now. Although I don't really do clay shooting any more.

Even so, if I changed my game gun, the first guns I would consider is the Caesar Guerini Maxum. I really love those. I was tempted to buy one initially, but it was another £1000 on top, so I thought the missus might not be too impressed.

So basically what I'm saying is, if it feels comfortable, why not buy it. They are fabulous guns. In my opinion, they are on a par with Perazzi, but at a fraction of the cost. :good:

I had a Summit Trap, but parted company as it was too similar to my Beretta 682E Gold - handling wise. Very well balanced gun. Mine was actually heavier than my 682E Gold, but felt a lot lighter.I regret the decision.

I was impressed with the wood to metal fit and the finishing inside the action - where you don't normally see. They seem built to last and are excellent value for money in my book. I like Browning / Miroku and Beretta, but these are far more gun for your money.

Edited by Gordon R

I had a Summit Trap, but parted company as it was too similar to my Beretta 682E Gold - handling wise. Very well balnced bun. Mine was actually heavier than my 682E Gold, but felt a lot lighter.I regret the decision.

I was impressed with the wood to metal fit and the finishing inside the action - where you don't normally see. They seem built to last and are excellent value for money in my book. I like Browning / Miroku and Beretta, but these are far more gun for your money.

100% Spot on echo Gordons's words

sage 100 - I would appreciate an opinion on the Guerini lock up system.

Perazzi, Kemen and Gamba have large shoulders either side of the barrel - which correspond with slots in the action walls. This looks a very strong and long lasting system.

How does the Guerini compare?

sage 100 - I would appreciate an opinion on the Guerini lock up system.

Perazzi, Kemen and Gamba have large shoulders either side of the barrel - which correspond with slots in the action walls. This looks a very strong and long lasting system.

How does the Guerini compare?

Gordon great question and It warrants a full reply may I respond tomorrow please as shattered

sage 100 - I would genuinely appreciate that.

I have been reading up on SKBs. I saw one a few months ago and was very, very impressed by the lock up system. It looked almost over the top. Hard to imagine one shooting loose.

Good evening, Gordon

Apologies for the delay.

Firstly, I must declare an interest.

One of my lads that I am coaching has been recognised by the management at Caesar Guerini and consequently has been fortunate to receive a sponsored gun, and also I am a personal friend of Kevin Gill, one of the directors of Caesar Guerini, who I shoot with on a regular basis.

However, I would like to think that I am sufficiently professional to answer this question as my heart and experience tells me.

When I saw my first Guerini competition gun my immediate reaction, seeing only the traditional bottom bite, left me feeling that this gun would not stand the test of time as well as the big names in competition gun production. From an engineer's stance I think you have to appreciate the Perazzi, Gamba and Kaymen locking mechanism it is reassuringly strong and conforms to my belt and braces way of thinking. To contradict myself, Browning/Miroku have used bottom bite locking mechanisms for years and it would be a bold man that criticised their longevity. At the bench I have had to tighten all of the previously mentioned guns, not the Caesar Guerini at the moment as this gun is still fairly new to the English marketplace. If I had to come down in favour of a mechanism I would certainly favour the Perazzi/Gamba.

It has been proven that a single bottom bite, if well engineered, with a tapered bolt which consistently moves forward slightly as the grip deteriorates gives more than adequate and, in many cases, favourable barrel to action fit and keeps the gun on the action face. In the case of Caesar Guerini, this bolt is very well engineered, I think that they have benefitted from taking a long look at the experiences enjoyed by Browning/Miroku.

I am aware of one Caesar Guerini Summit model that is a shooting school gun and when servicing it this year I was very pleased to see how well it is standing up to a phenomenal amount of shooting. I feel this gun is certainly comparable to the Berettas and other guns in its price range and beyond. One incredible plus is the after sales service which I have experienced. A client lost the forend push rod. I requested a replacement. It appear by first class post with a compliments slip - quite unusual for the gun trade.

There are a number of items on the Caesar Guerini, and come to that, Beretta, which I positively dislike. I hate the ugly safety catch on both models, it looks like an afterthought. Trigger guards that finish at the rear of the action. What little more would it cost to extend them and finish them traditionally? On the CG the forend Anderson & Deeley style forend push rod is horrid. It looks to me as if somebody remembered it at the last minute and just stuck a piece of steel in the end. It needs re-engineering and ideally finishing with a proper escucheon around it to set it off. I am aware on their premier models they have addressed the trigger guard - now I'm being pernickety.

Gordon, I hope this answers your question. You obviously come from an engineering background and I tend to conform to your way of thinking, I feel.

Regards