beans

cmsds

• 2 weeks later...

When is the best time to shoot over beans? I shot over some freshly sown beans the other week and got 19 with most of the birds passing coming into the decoys. Then went up a week later when they were starting to come through and never got/seen a pigeon in 3 hours. Is it just when they are first sown and when harvested you get pigeons or will they feed on it all year?

When is the best time to shoot over beans? I shot over some freshly sown beans the other week and got 19 with most of the birds passing coming into the decoys. Then went up a week later when they were starting to come through and never got/seen a pigeon in 3 hours. Is it just when they are first sown and when harvested you get pigeons or will they feed on it all year?

drilling time and haverst time only if the woodies are on beans that are growing 100% they will be feeding on chickweed inbetween the beans and also i have shot large numbers on flat beans thanks coxy

These are what's known as "Tic Beans", they're grown for animal fodder, the Pigeons will go mad for them as soon as they are drilled and for a week or so afterwards, until all spare beans have been hoovered up.

Generally speaking, they won't touch them again until they are combined in July / August, when again, they will go nuts over a bean stubble.

If you are lucky enough to be in an area where they leave the stubbles for some time before they rip them up, you can have some fabulous shooting in October / November. :yes:

Keep your eye on the field, if the birds are flocking in, go for it, if not, don't bother, but, above all else, don't become a "Hedge Monkey" and sit there for hours on end whilst the birds are nowhere to be seen, catch up on those DIY jobs instead. :good:

Cat.

Edited by Catamong

These are what's known as "Tic Beans", they're grown for animal fodder, the Pigeons will go mad for them as soon as they are drilled and for a week or so afterwards, until all spare beans have been hoovered up.

Generally speaking, they won't touch them again until they are combined in July / August, when again, they will go nuts over a bean stubble.

If you are lucky enough to be in an area where they leave the stubbles for some time before they rip them up, you can have some fabulous shooting in October / November. :yes:

Keep your eye on the field, if the birds are flocking in, go for it, if not, don't bother, but, above all else, don't become a "Hedge Monkey" and sit there for hours on end whilst the birds are nowhere to be seen, catch up on those DIY jobs instead. :good:

Cat.

Partly following your advice: but switched to rimfire and air power for harvesting rabbits instead of DIY :lol:

Must get some gardening done tomo though! Next weekend I'll be mostly cooking, freezing and gardening - earn some brownie points back after investing time in my shooting

:shoot::balloon: