Cobra NV - What Scope do you use?

ellebarto

I know Ive asked this once before amongst the conversation of another thread but if anyone uses a Cobra Gen 1 unit with dayscope adaptor, can you tell me what scope you use with it, especially if its a new (still being sold) and inexpensive scope, which seem to be the ones producing the best results?

I'm getting rubbish results with my Leo and want to try another scope but dont want to throw good money after bad on just trying something that may or may not work for me!

Been given loads of great advice from people who are certain it works so it must just be a formulae I havent hit on yet! :hmm:

As mentioned in an earlier thread, I use a Nikko Sterling 4-12x50 Mountmaster. This was bought new about 7 months ago, and works well with my Cobra Merlin.

Steve.

Cheers Steve, I know you replied once before. Is it this one?

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/766/107457/nikko-stirling-mountmaster-4-12x50-rifle-scope/

Struggling to find it in stock anywhere but does seem to still be sold and at a price I;m willing to take a punt on!

As I wrote in an earlier thread, the quality of the scope doesn't seem to be a guide to how well it works with the Merlin.

My Leup 6.5-20x50 VXIII actually gives me a clear picture but with a very narrow field of view. I think it's because the Leup has long eye relief which causes the Merlin problems, I made a Delrin extender to put the Merlin further away from the scope, you can see the white Delrin adapter in the picture below, with a laser printer rubber roller stretched around it to give it enough grip on the eyebell.

I've had good NV results with a Bushnell Elite 3200, Dowling & Rowe 4-12x50, Zero Option 3-9x50, Tasco ( Japanese ) 4x40 and a few more I can't remember.

Merlin_adapter_jpg.jpg

Cheers Steve, I know you replied once before. Is it this one?

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/766/107457/nikko-stirling-mountmaster-4-12x50-rifle-scope/

Struggling to find it in stock anywhere but does seem to still be sold and at a price I;m willing to take a punt on!

The one advertised does not look like it has an adjustable parallax. I bought mine from Opticswarehouse.co.uk

As mentioned in an earlier thread, I use a Nikko Sterling 4-12x50 Mountmaster. This was bought new about 7 months ago, and works well with my Cobra Merlin.

Steve.

Took delivery of this scope today and set up as per instructions many of you guys have given and would you believe it worked straight out of the box with no parallx adjustment required.

Dont get me wrong it was only at 15 yards in my garden but recticle is crystal and image is good for onboard IR on the Cobra NV. Next to take it into the field, get it zeroed and see how the bunnies like it.

Thanks to all you guys that waded in with the advice and were so pateient with me! Nice scope Steve for the money. Excellent recommendation. Cheers mate.

Took delivery of this scope today and set up as per instructions many of you guys have given and would you believe it worked straight out of the box with no parallx adjustment required.

Dont get me wrong it was only at 15 yards in my garden but recticle is crystal and image is good for onboard IR on the Cobra NV. Next to take it into the field, get it zeroed and see how the bunnies like it.

Thanks to all you guys that waded in with the advice and were so pateient with me! Nice scope Steve for the money. Excellent recommendation. Cheers mate.

I'm glad you got is sorted out at last, and that my advice regarding the scope was okay. It is a good scope, for both day and night use. Just wait until you try it out at around 70 yards, especially if you fit a lamp/IR filter as well. The NV view is unbelieveable. It does take a bit of tweaking here and there though, to get it right, but it's worth it in the end.

Let us know how you get on out in the field.

Steve.