FAC Air Characteristics ?

Salop Matt

I notice that most FAC air guns in .22 cal tend to be 30fpe but Daystate tend to be 40fpe !

My question though is at what power point do FAC air guns start to ricochet like a .22lr ?

I know even sub 12fpe will ricochet but there must be a certain point where it starts to happen alot more !

But what point is this at ? :hmm:

I notice that most FAC air guns in .22 cal tend to be 30fpe but Daystate tend to be 40fpe !

My question though is at what power point do FAC air guns start to ricochet like a .22lr ?

I know even sub 12fpe will ricochet but there must be a certain point where it starts to happen alot more !

But what point is this at ? :hmm:

It's funny but we have 2 air rifles as per my signature and its the lower powered syntarg that suffers with ricochet/pellet bounce back, I figured it was lack of penetration owing to lower power.

I've been drooling over the Air Ranger 60ft/lbs but its hard to justify the £1200 price tag, So, looked at the BSA R10 but thats not even

40lb/ft (is 31ft/lbs if I read it correctly this morning)

Daystate are showing 40fpe as a standard FAC power, I am suprised as I thought it would be 30fpe.

30fpe has been fine for me with my R7 ! I was just curious if at 40fpe you would start to get pellets whizzing off !

I sold my .22lr because of the fear of richocett and went FAC air which seems to of been the right decision for me !

To me 500cc bottle is to heavy and 40FPE just isnt needed ! Personal opinion of cause and then you need to sell organs and limbs to fund one ! £1,185 :o no chance ! lol

Does anyone have anything in .22 FAC AIR and if so does it richocett like a .22lr ?

:hmm:

I have had my dads .177 richocett at 40 -45 yards (sub 12fpe) but are the higher power .22`s more prone to it ?

:hmm:

I have both .22 (36fpe) and .177 (17fpe) in fac and have not had a major issue with either, the .177 tends to spalt when it hits a solid target, like a steel piller or concrete block and the .22 is no worse that the 12fpe .22 I have.

Only issue I have ever had is in the .177 if you use a light pellet the skirt will sometimes deform due the massive pressure needed to get it to the power rating stated.

Hi SS, i run x2 fac rapids ,a .20 mk-2 at 26fpe, and a .25 mk-1 at 48fpe

i have not had any richochets with either of them , i use the .20 the most

as its got a bigger shot count than the .25. but overall fac air is very useful

i operate x2 fac air along side rimfires because my shoots require their use

and because i can,

regds brian

You have to remember a skirted pellet weighing in at around 20 grains is going to deform and splatter quite easy and as it only carries 1/3 of the energy thats behind that 40 grn lump of fairly solid lead ricochets are going to pose much less of a hazard over much shorter range.

Being synical perhaps Daystate offer higher power to capitalise on those that think they need it. Personally i doubt the 10 ft lb means much at all other than perhaps being even more pellet fussy :rolleyes: I run my .22 rapid at just under 30ft lb using bis mags and it shoots them fine to acceptable ranges :good:

I have to admit to fancying the Air Ranger 60 simply on the basis of giving a bit more range (?)

But if I was to settle for a 30 or 40ft/lb air weapon then I'm leaning towards the Mk2 BSA R10, although it's about £500 cheaper than the Daystate AR, its only 31ft/lb and it's this thats making me hesitant.

I have to admit to fancying the Air Ranger 60 simply on the basis of giving a bit more range (?)

But if I was to settle for a 30 or 40ft/lb air weapon then I'm leaning towards the Mk2 BSA R10, although it's about £500 cheaper than the Daystate AR, its only 31ft/lb and it's this thats making me hesitant.

don't be i seriously doubt you will get more range :no: , you will only start to struggle finding the right ammo :yes: . personally i wouldn't buy new fac air is way cheaper second hand and it aint like they get used for endless plinking sesions- bought new they loose money real quick (carefully avoiding the words Rapid or rapidly there) :good: . Rapids insidently to my mind are the best choice my mark1 has a simple power adjuster that lets you tune it a bit better for the ammo you wish to use and run slightly lower levels to conserve it runs on non regulated knock open valve and as a result very easy to serice and reliable i paid £300 secondhand private sale and it was pretty near mint. Generally it stays put power wise now i have found the speed i am happy with (which is below its max to proove my point)