Duck Shooting pond proposal

stupidsalmon

There is are a couple of blokes who stalk near church stretton but i'm not sure how frequently. I don't really know them that well at the moment but i'm planning on trying to get an invite to go out with one if not both of them. I'll have a word round and PM you the results if i get any. Also there is a stalking club at minsterly.

Henry

ok thanks frank,

afraid i dont know anyone into the stalking scene around me, i intend to make visit to minsterley ranges soon to enquire about stalking for myself. Probably the best bet for you if you need any info about local stalkers etc. and other stuff on the matter.

cheers

ss

Minsterley have their own stalking on their own land, apparently it's pretty good, my mate has been up there a few times I think.

A havent seen any ducks over the past few years, but prior to that i had worked on the ponds with the intention to encorage newts and other small waterlife (without duck shooting in mind) and had often seen ducks frequent the water. I then gave up on the ponds as they were always leaking, and now i can see their potential for some good sport, just need to fill'em up, and keep 'em filled up :thumbs:

SS

Edited by stupidsalmon

Stupid salmon and I are due to start work on the ponds in the easter school holidays. This might seen a bit premature but when the duck season comes around again and we do say have a few ducks do we leave them in the hope they attract more or do we shoot them to leave space for newcomers? Also if we do shoot them do we need a special license and if so how much are they?

Thanks Henry

we had an old cleaned out slurry lagoon which then filled naturally with rain water. The first year we didnt feed it and there weren't many ducks using it. The second year we fed it and stocked it with fish. quite a lot of duck started using it. Mainly Teal and the odd Mallard. Third year (this year) we fed it and starting shooting from late december through to end of jan. Only shot it a few times. Next year will probably shoot once a fortnight dependent on duck usage.

Its advisable if you do shoot it this coming season to only shoot once a month to allow ducks to use with confidence and go off to tell their mates. next year you'll get more ducks and so on!!

best of luck with the project. Its great having your own flight pond to go to once in a while for one for the pot!

Its not just to attract other ducks! Its to allow the ducks to rest and feed in peace. If they can't do this then they wont bother coming again. Another tip is if there are many ducks on the pond when you arrive then walk them off, dont shoot, only shoot as they return one or two at a time. shoot at a group and they'll all remember not to come back. they'll also warn their mates that its a bad place!!! :o