Duck Shooting pond proposal

stupidsalmon

What do you think of this for a summer project then?

Swiftshot and I intend to restore two very old duck shooting ponds which have been neglected over the years. A majority of the old filling channel to the ponds has been blocked by debris and other **** so needs digging out, as with the overflow channel. Currently both ponds are virtually empty, supporting a few clumps of frogspawn, so will need a bit of work on the embankments (shaded red on drawing) to hold back any water. As you can see from the photos the beds of the ponds are fairly grassy, do you think it'd be necessary to remove all the grass or can it just be left for the water to submerge it?

untitled.jpg

The spring:

2865c2e6.jpg

Larger pond (taken to the left of the stone hide):

1004.jpg

Larger pond (taken from behind stone hide):

5fae45bb.jpg

Looks like a very interesting project. It may be worth visiting the web sites of BASC and Game Conservancy Trust. Ive no actual experience of this kind of job, but remember reading that you need shelves aproximateley 9" deep for dabbling ducks to feed. An island is also a good idea, especially to encourage breeding free from some preditors. Good luck, I am so envious.

webber

Its a good treck to Bishops Castle, do they still have the traction engine rally?

Sorry dont have a digger. My friend who did have a couple sold them and now hires in. It may be cheaper to hire a digger with driver, a good man can move loads in no time; but its more fun to do it yourself. You could consider buying a digger, doing the job and then selling it after the job is finished.

webber

be carefull with the digger, in certain conditions you can end up digging through the soil layer thats impervious to water and making it drain. If it was man made some have a compacted clay layer to hold the water in. Yours looks natural so you should be ok but it may be worth digging some by hand to see whats under the surface first. Looks like a great project the other thing to bear in mind is this years been a lot drier than usual so you may find by clearing the chanel it will fill up anyway as soon as we get enough rain

Looks like you’ve come up trumps there, lucky ********.

Don’t want to put a dampener on things but you might need planning permission for this and/or a licence from the Environment Agency. Certainly new flight ponds mostly need to have planning but you could probably argue that this is an established pond albeit a dry/disused one! OR you could just keep it quiet :-( Whether or not you need planning you must ensure that any works do not interfere with the free flow or drainage already in place either up or down stream. Don’t guess there are any migratory fish using the stream so that shouldn’t be a worry. Any banks should be structurally sound to withstand floodwaters and the downstream end should have a good size drainage pipe or whatever to cope with any large overflows. By the looks of what the stream has already done it can get pretty fierce when it floods so don’t just rely on a little earth bank.

From the looks of it you shouldn’t need a digger (just some strong arms and backs) as the water levels don’t need to be more than about 10 inches especially if you want to attract Teal (is he listening :-) ) You might need to take out some of those trees too.

From your plans/drawings/photos I’d have thought that a small retaining bank to get the main area flooded would work. If you feed it then you should get duck using it. What’s the area like? I guess if it always used to be a flight pond it’s in a fairly quiet, tucked away place. Looks good and damp! Can you access it easily on a regular basis to fed it, keeper it and deal with the inevitable vermin?

I`m with M Robson on this as if it will fill naturally you will attract a lot of duck of different species ie.mallard in the deeper centre and teal near the margins.

Don`t just dump a load of barley into it or roland and his m8`s will move in big style.

The stone hide will be brills if you cut the trees to 1foot stumps and allow new growth to sprout from the stools(get them cut soon!)

Grateful for all the replies guys,

@highlander

The ponds are farely isolated, situated on top of a hill within a small coppice. theres a track going directly past which the farmer uses rarely but allows easy access to the ponds.

What would you say to putting a small island in? Surely if the waters going to be so shallow then foxes could make it accross with ease.

Thanks again

Barney

Stupidsalmon

I wish I did live nearby.

I was once involved with miniature steam engines, and attended the Bishops lCastle steam rally for many years, it was a highlight of the season. I remember a pub called the three tons?and excellent beer. Sadly I can no longer enjoy a pint due to medication.

webber

Yep 3 tunns, should think its changed hands a few times since you were there last, its been extended aswell now into the small courtyard if you can remenber that. Good beer also, ever tried the six bells in BC? Very good homebrew there also. Sorry to hear about the drinking problem :D , so to speak.

So guys what would you say to putting a small island in?

Also other suggestions would be much appreciated as i've never undergone such a task before,

Thanks again

Barney

Edited by stupidsalmon

Mite be a stupid qeustion.

But will all the water problems, and an official drought in some parts of the country, are you sure its a good idea to start messing with streams, flooding areas etc?

Mite be best to leave nature to get through this first. Unless you live in Scotland and in which case theres plenty of water :/

But I know down here all the streams and our lakes are drying, and if we get caught using a hose pipe, we get fined 1000 pounds :D

Make a quick call to BASC and sort things out first :/

I cant see any problem in doing it as, for one the spring thats supplying the ponds has never, to my knowledge, gone dry and also that the only water that will be lost will be that which the ponds hold themselves, any extra simply flows straight back into the stream out of the opposite ends of the ponds. (overflow shown in drawing)

Cheers

SS

That looks a fantastic project. :D

One word of caution, look to the future and think about bird flue :/ , its spreading like wild fire across europe and the british isles is not too far away. :/:D

Sorry for the pesamism, but reality has a funny way of biting. :/

Yep 3 tunns, should think its changed hands a few times since you were there last, its been extended aswell now into the small courtyard if you can remenber that. Good beer also, ever tried the six bells in BC? Very good homebrew there also. Sorry to hear about the drinking problem :D , so to speak.

So guys what would you say to putting a small island in?

Also other suggestions would be much appreciated as i've never undergone such a task before,

Thanks again

Barney

old big nev can chuck out a good beer i like the duck and dive. man will that stuff put you on your ****.

@frank

when bird flu does inevitably reach us what would the effects be on sports like wildfowling? Will we be prevented or encouraged to do it ??

Id say at a wild guess, prevented :thumbs: , as their would be a great danger of handling dead birds and catching bird flue i would think. :blink:

Edited by Frank

ok thanks frank,

afraid i dont know anyone into the stalking scene around me, i intend to make visit to minsterley ranges soon to enquire about stalking for myself. Probably the best bet for you if you need any info about local stalkers etc. and other stuff on the matter.

cheers

ss