Gun Safe Fitting help !

Radar_uk

Ok I will start off by admitting I am hopeless at all things DIY so this is probably going to sound stupid but I am having issues fitting my gun safe....

Have drilled the holes using the recommended size bit (hell 3 out of 4 even line up :lol:) and have fitted the anchor bolt into the hole but when I try and tighten them up everything just spins round as though the holes are too large ! :angry: And even if I bolt the anchor bolt completely in (without the safe in place) I can fairly easily pull it out again.

Now the house is pretty old and the plaster/brick work has seen better days so is this down to that just crumbling up when I drill causing a too big a hole or have I got the wrong sort of fittings ?

Any help would be much appreciated before I buy a boat load of no more nails :lol:

Ok I will start off by admitting I am hopeless at all things DIY so this is probably going to sound stupid but I am having issues fitting my gun safe....

Have drilled the holes using the recommended size bit (hell 3 out of 4 even line up :lol:) and have fitted the anchor bolt into the hole but when I try and tighten them up everything just spins round as though the holes are too large ! :angry: And even if I bolt the anchor bolt completely in (without the safe in place) I can fairly easily pull it out again.

Now the house is pretty old and the plaster/brick work has seen better days so is this down to that just crumbling up when I drill causing a too big a hole or have I got the wrong sort of fittings ?

Any help would be much appreciated before I buy a boat load of no more nails :lol:

i had the same went to local diy store (small one no brand name) he sent me to local locksmith stores and told me to ask for some security bolts (cant remember there name) but they had a epoxy resin built in so when you put then in the hole and tighten it breaks and sets into position hope this helps

go buy a suitable resin anchor system, Spit make one that fits in a normal mastic gun. You can get this sort of stuff from builders merchants.

Try putting some gaffa type around the rawl bolt so that it fits tightly into the hole. Just be careful as not to stop the bolts ability to expand, when its tightened up. If the bricks are crumbly you may find normal rawl bolts won't grip and will just turn in the brick work.

The other option is to get some chemical rawl bolts as they bond to the bricks when set they there for ever in the brick work. You will need to look at the size of the hole you have drilled and the size of the chemical bolt and if the screw thread of the bolt will fit in the cabinate holes. Some cabinates have over size holes that will allow the fitment of large bolts. These should be availiable from builders merchants.

Get a tube of this

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+Fixings/Chemical+Fixings/Polyester+Resin+150ml/d90/sd1960/p47918

150ml size is fine and will fit a normal sealant gun or order one too

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhesives+Sealants/Applicator+Guns/Professional+Rotating+Sealant+Gun+400ml/d180/sd3177/p35102

Order a pack of these

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+Fixings/Chemical+Fixings/Chemical+Stud+A2+Passivated+8x110mm/d90/sd1960/p70719

Drill the hole out to the recommended size (think it's 12mm for a 8mm stud)

Use the hoover to suck any loose dust from the hole.

Fill most of the way with the resin and insert a stud twisting it.

Allow sufficient drying time (temperature dependant)

That's what I did on my crumbly walls having suffered with the same problem as yourself.

Toolstation give free delivery if the order is over £10

Yep the 2 part stuff is great just dont break the nozzle....or go up a size in anchor bolt but if brick crumbly resin fix is the way to go...

yes i agree thats what i used to fix mine to the walls got my chemical fix resin from screwfix works a treat. try this

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-polyester-styrene-free-resin-300ml/23386#

As others have said and provided links for- chemical resin anchor system is the way to go- it would be my preference over expansion bolts anytime now, as these bolts can and do split blocks if you do them up too tight!It's what we use as our standard method of steelwork fixing for work stuff For the stud, we use threaded bar cut to the required length. One thing to watch out for though on older walls are the cavities between the stone- you can end up pouring tube after tube into these before you get a decent fixing. If this does happen you'll need to get a mesh insert to stop the resin falling away onto the hole when you push the stud in.

Hope this is of some help

ATB

Andy

Easiest product on the Market for brick, block, concrete etc are thunder bolts.

Drill an 8mm hole and wind it in! No cracked blocks or bricks like u can get with expansion fixings, no drying time or mess as with resins or chemical fixings.

If you can use a drill and a spanner you should be able to fix it in about 10 - 15 mins. Great product!!