breaking and distance

Hi hope you can set me in right direction.

I have a 8 month lab took it to a pre-lim dummy test to see how he would go.

Broke on me when waiting for command to go this happen twice any advice how I stop this.

Other thing is only went roughly the distance I can throw the dummies need to get hunt further back but don't have anyone near to throw dummies.

Thanks in advance

We found that with ours making him wait for his dinner (sometimes till drouling stage ) that this helped his staying, we also through dummies out and then went and picked them up so he knew he was not going to get every one.

Also with mine at first a sharp ah or a noise if he was about to break. Also don't leave the time period to long at first.when he stays for a second or two let him go then lots of praise when he gets back then you can gradually increase the time. All in all remember it is only 8 months and at that age most will be distracted easily, for indtance if mine smells something attractive. Don't shout and scream if he does run away as I learned that it only re- enforces the fact that he is not near you, just lots of praise a big hand signals to get him back then try again . Once again I am no expert :good:

Edited by mpk

Hi hope you can set me in right direction.

I have a 8 month lab took it to a pre-lim dummy test to see how he would go.

Broke on me when waiting for command to go this happen twice any advice how I stop this.

Other thing is only went roughly the distance I can throw the dummies need to get hunt further back but don't have anyone near to throw dummies.

Thanks in advance

Just something I read;

Put yourself between the dog and the thrown dummy, if he moves before being told you are then in a position to intercept him, walk him back to the spot you sat him at, and try again.

Keep the distance down untill he is steady.

Edit to add;

Or try this :good:http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/37571-steadiness-training/page__view__findpost__p__341353

Edited by chrispti

never put him in a situation you can't stop him till he is trustable steady to thown dummies. work on it as an exersize in it's own right first thowing them and the picking them up your self, later you might allow him one or two IF he has been rock steady. In future if he breaks stop him admonish him and walk out for that dummy yourself :good: your probebly racing ahead a bit judging the age of the "puppy"

Can you reliably sit him up & walk 50 yards away & then walk back to him?

Can you reliably sit him up & walk round him in circles?

Yeah I can he ok then.

This is the first time he ran in not sure maybe excitment of the dayn and other dogs running for dummies as he sits,

This is the first time he ran in not sure maybe excitment of the dayn and other dogs running for dummies as he sits,

There's your problem, he needs to 100% steady without the distraction of other dogs before he is required to be steady when other dogs are there. Sit him in front of you, stand back 10 yards & throw a dummy backwards over your shoulder, assuming he'll be steady to this progress this game until you came walk in circles round him throwing dummies, balls etc passed his nose & making noise whilst you do it, anything to try & make him run in. Once he's 100% steady to this try him with other dogs, make him sit whilst other dogs retrieve. Move him on to having a dummy launcher fired off next to him, they're usually good for a run in. Basically proof him to everything you possibly can but work it up in stages, slowly, it ain't a race.

hi picking a lot of the dummies yourself will increase his steadiness,

also for distance try memory retrieves walk out dog at heel, put the dummy down in front and then turn around

and walk back with the dog (along a path is ideal nice straight lines) then turn the dog and give him the direction and your command to 'go fetch' the distances can be increased and the dog will love the run back,

you can vary this by leaving the dog part way between the dummy and yourself (vary the distances) to assist with

the BACK command

longer retrieves can be built up and eventually blinds done in a similar way just drop the dummy on the path when the dog isn't watching keep walking call him up and give him your 'go fetch' command

when first introducing blinds in this way remember to go back to much shorter distances and build up again.

jan