A little help if possible?

Hiya boys and girls.

I never thought to try this section so il give it a go, what harm can it do?

Im looking for some land to shoot over, i have been shooting for about 4 years now but i am still struggling, I have a 10 acre plot to shoot over but as i hold my sgc im feeling pushed to use it properly.

I have been reliying on friends to take me out on there land and support me, BUT this has given me a bigger problem!!! I now have the hunger for my FAC! alot of my friends have said they will mentor me but i need the land to warrant the use of a FAC rifle, either rimfire or cf.

it will also be nice to help them guys out and get them onto a bit of land i have as a thankyou to them.

so if anyone can help, or hears of anything down in sussex or surrounding, please could you give me a shout.

alot of the lads on here will tell you im a genuine person and i hope they say i could be trusted.

any help would be fantastic, desperate times call for desperate measures.

John Boy

I assume you have asked around for yourself.

If that is the case can`t one of your friends get you permission on some of their land on a temporary basis to get you your cert then when you get it you have your FAC to go asking and offering something rather than nothing.

i have been in contact but i wasnt sure weather to hand over the money, there could be alot of members sqweezed onto the land. I wouldnt like to pay for over shot land.

i may be wrong about it but its just a worry?

thanks for the advice

john

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Not to dishearten you mate but took me 10 years to get land suitable for FAC - my advice would be join as many shooting clubs as possible, and offer help to farmers and gamekeepers that you're bound to meet when you're outside a lot. Once you've known them a while (rather than knocking on their door as a stranger).

If I'd had this advice from the start, rather than the nonsense they print in magazines, then I'm sure it would have only take a year or two at most!

Also, I know how it feels when your mates have all got one and you haven't, but once the initial thrill wears off it's no different than having an air rifle - you can just be a bit lazier about stalking to get close to them, until of course they wise up to you! obviously there's also the extra danger of increased power.

If it's deer you want to shoot then go and do your DSC1 Certificate, and if you pass you'll be able to go on paid stalks and they'll supply a rifle. Again you'll meet people with land and permissions and you may be offered vermin rights here.

Best tip is to be patient and not too keen - it puts people off! If you had land and an enthusiastic stranger walked up to your door and asked if you could sign some paper so he could get a gun and shoot on your land I'm pretty sure you'd have the same response as everyone else! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Not to dishearten you mate but took me 10 years to get land suitable for FAC - my advice would be join as many shooting clubs as possible, and offer help to farmers and gamekeepers that you're bound to meet when you're outside a lot. Once you've known them a while (rather than knocking on their door as a stranger).

If I'd had this advice from the start, rather than the nonsense they print in magazines, then I'm sure it would have only take a year or two at most!

Also, I know how it feels when your mates have all got one and you haven't, but once the initial thrill wears off it's no different than having an air rifle - you can just be a bit lazier about stalking to get close to them, until of course they wise up to you! obviously there's also the extra danger of increased power.

If it's deer you want to shoot then go and do your DSC1 Certificate, and if you pass you'll be able to go on paid stalks and they'll supply a rifle. Again you'll meet people with land and permissions and you may be offered vermin rights here.

Best tip is to be patient and not too keen - it puts people off! If you had land and an enthusiastic stranger walked up to your door and asked if you could sign some paper so he could get a gun and shoot on your land I'm pretty sure you'd have the same response as everyone else! :)

There is no need to pass your DSC1 if you want to do paid stalking or any other stalking for that matter. :good: