Down time

deny essex

Gave the shooting a rest this week or should i say driveing around trying to find some pigeon to shoot.

For the last month or more with the warm weather its been realy quiet , even the drill never materialised any birds of number, the peas have been virtualy left alone and what birds have been around soon went to pastures new as soon as you looked at them, Im not talking in a small area either I have acess to thousands of acres all much the same result and with the cost of fuel it gets a little exspensive to keep reccying out.

So this week the kit has been cleaned , touched up and any repairs done, also designed and in the procces of makeing pigeon peckers, made one to fit my FUD decoys and waiting on parts to complete and field test the prototypes i have ready.

Just wondering what you guys do to pass the time and keep occupied when the shooting is lean ?

( I spend way too much time on this site !) :hmm:

I am still getting out and about picking up a few birds in short sessions.

This month I tend to concentrate more on rooks , with the young birds in the rookeries and also by decoying.

Once again they are short sessions, sitting around waiting for nothing to happen is not something I enjoy doing.

I also make more time to chat around the farms and bump into people who know things.

If it wasn't so hot I would get the fly fishing gear out. :)

Hi Mate it would be interesting to see your fud pecker how you finding the fuds i have been using a dozen my self with mixed results sillosocks mixed in seems to work better ,nows the time to be out lamping bunnie :good: They are 3/4 size now ideal for the pot nice and tender :good:

Hi Mate it would be interesting to see your fud pecker how you finding the fuds i have been using a dozen my self with mixed results sillosocks mixed in seems to work better ,nows the time to be out lamping bunnie :good: They are 3/4 size now ideal for the pot nice and tender :good:

Difficult to say how the FUD's perform against other decoys with the lack of birds on my grounds, but the 1st time out with them the first birds that came by decoyed in and landed with the 6 fuds on drill, I didnt raise the gun as I wanted to see how the decs worked. FUD's heavily modified now as per my other threads.

The FUD pecker will be shown when finalised along with the shell peckers.

every guy has got to have a shed for such times

well, she who must be obeyed, calls it a shed, to me its my hunting lodge/workshop

so when Im not out working and/or shooting, then Im normally having a dexter moment :D

so this week, Ive finished the add-ons for the jeep/lamping brackets

am getting back to finishing my badger mask (my attempt at taxidermy)

trying to bodge a bracket together to mount a red dot sight to the hushpower

testing out my blue filter

oh, and I gave the hunting lodge a good tidy yesterday :D

now, what can I do today :hmm:

Sounds like you have the same ground as me, thousands or acres and very few pigeons, and has been getting worse as the year progressed. When I do get a shot I can’t see weather I’ve hit it, threw the cloud of rust coming from the end of my barrel. Found myself doing all those little jobs I’ve put off until tomorrow, Disco is in top condition mechanically and bodily, garden up together. I’ll have to knock the dust off my fishing rod I think before I lose it completely

to me its my hunting lodge

:D

I'm gonna get one of those fancy sliced-log nameplates for my 6ft x 7ft shed saying "The Hunting Lodge". :lol:

Gradually thinning-out the contents of mine to have some space to move. It's got a seat, a stove and a radio, though. The important bits :yes: