Hide for wheelchairs users

bakerboy

Well done Bakerboy, I applaud your thoughts and considerations for disabled shooters.

3 years ago I was seriously injured, my mobility is now impared.

Suddenly you start to pay more attention to infrastructure on a shoot, small things that didn't previously matter now do; eyes are opened.

Silly bridges that you once just skipped across, now become a major obstacle, often impassable. Fences, once easily crossed or jumped, now require gates or stiles, and existing stiles need to be solid and fit for purpose, not the potential booby traps that they often are.

Shoots, both commercial and members only, often overlook their legal responsibilities, often out of ignorance rather than deliberate act.

webber

Well done Bakerboy, I applaud your thoughts and considerations for disabled shooters.

3 years ago I was seriously injured, my mobility is now impared.

Suddenly you start to pay more attention to infrastructure on a shoot, small things that didn't previously matter now do; eyes are opened.

Silly bridges that you once just skipped across, now become a major obstacle, often impassable. Fences, once easily crossed or jumped, now require gates or stiles, and existing stiles need to be solid and fit for purpose, not the potential booby traps that they often are.

Shoots, both commercial and members only, often overlook their legal responsibilities, often out of ignorance rather than deliberate act.

webber

In hindsight, I suppose it does not have to be just for wheel chair users. If you are a little immobile this could be of interest, as there is little walking involved.

Terry, you are of course correct.

Shoot infrastructure that is constructed to be wheel chair / disabled friendly is equally suitable for able bodied shooters. All it needs is a little fore thought from keepers, shoot managers, working party leaders etc. to plan ahead and think for a moment that " there for the grace of God go I".

Try to imagine how it would feel if you were fit and able to shoot, but simply couldn't gain access due to quite simple obstructions.

I'm not suggesting that every peg on each drive on a driven shoot is disabled friendly, but it would be a good objective for every shoot to ensure that at least one peg on each drive was accessible by a wheel chair / quad bike.

I was lucky, I didn't lose my leg; but for a season I used my quad bike to get around the shoot with the full support of the land owner and chairman. A few of the older members didn't object to riding from drive to drive in the small traier that I pulled, but the committee decided that the quad had to go. I and several others left the shoot.

webber

• 4 weeks later...

i thought you might like to see what type of transport i use for shooting, the quad bike is a honda 450cc electric shift gear change with a 2 or 4 wheel drive button it is road reg i use this to shoot from for game shooting, when i go pigeon shooting i put a hide pole on each corner of the quad and use my camo nets so i fact it is a portable hide, ideal for flight lines etc.

the wheelchair is one i built from old wheelchair parts, plus some parts i had to make as i wanted to take part in clay pigeon shooting so it has to go over rough ground and get around clay shoots. having been a member of the cpsa for many years and a AA reg sporting shooter i wanted to take part in cpsa reg shoots but i am finding it very hard to shoot from cages that are too small and bars in the front to high, i was once shooting a reg 100 birder at sporting targets and there was one cage i could not get into and the ref said i could shoot it from the side of the cage, but someone complained i shot it from outside the cage and had me banned, as the cpsa rules state i must shoot from a cage but if they are too small i stand no chance of shooting from them, the cpsa have a recomended rule that they are a min of 1.2 meters square i can get in that size easy i, said how can you recomend a rule it is ither a rule or not, they said if they try to make it a rule shooting grounds would not follow it and leave the cpsa. also i can not shoot from a high platform as i cant get up there.

i also use this wheelchair for pigeon and rabbit shooting it will go anywhere, and i cant wait to go over to terrys (bakerboy) to try out his hide for disabled shooters what a good man he is. any way so stuff the CPSA they take your money for a disabled shooter then not let you shoot, I WONT BE JOINING THEM AGAIN AFTER MEMBERSHIP ENDS I WILL STAY WITH BASC.

all the best joe. :good:

Edited by BLACK-GUN

Full marks for not letting your disability barr you from shooting, and utilising technology to gain access.

Its a pity that CPSA have adopted such a stance, but rules are there to be changed, and occasionally broken.

Shooting is one sport which can be accessed by disabled persons, but few grounds or shoots will ever be 100% disabled friendly, its not a perfect world, but we can try to make it better.

webber

Full marks for not letting your disability barr you from shooting, and utilising technology to gain access.

Its a pity that CPSA have adopted such a stance, but rules are there to be changed, and occasionally broken.

Shooting is one sport which can be accessed by disabled persons, but few grounds or shoots will ever be 100% disabled friendly, its not a perfect world, but we can try to make it better.

webber

i am just going to carry on pigeon & game shooting for as long as i can, and after competing in the british side by side championship on the 13 august i think i will leave clay shooting alone. i joined the cpsa under their disabled cat, but they dont have any disabled classes to enter so after august they wont be getting any more money from me, when all they can give me is their insurance cover but wont do anything else to help. :no::sad1::sad1::sad1:

Hi Joe

I will give you a call now I have returned from holiday.

That is one mean machine you have there, I cannot wait to see it it in action, especially if Cos is having a go.

Terry

cos tried loading it on the trailer but it was too quick on the steering for him. :no::lol::lol::lol:

we went clay shooting :good:

Edited by BLACK-GUN

cos tried loading it on the trailer but it was too quick on the steering for him. :no::lol::lol::lol:

we went clay shooting :good:

All I can say is Joe is lucky there are no speed cameras at the clay ground because he would have been done for sure :lol:

Never seen a wheel chair being hand brake turned :lol: :lol: :lol: