eye dominance

s.stimson

I’m a left-hander and been shooting air rifles for a couple of years and .22 prone target rifles for about 6 months however I had been given some clay pigeon lessons and a left-handed shotgun for my birthday and it beats the usual socks and aftershave I get for birthdays. However when I started left-handed I was hitting about 1 1/2 feet to the right and the instructor said I had right eye dominance so I swapped and shot right handed which felt odd but on the up side I was hitting a lot more clays than I could hit shooting left-handed. So am I going to have to bight the bullet and shoot shotguns right handed or is the anything I should try first (I tried closing my right eye but I did not get on with that) And dose any fancy buying a left-hand shotgun?

Before you sell the gun, try the bead that is featured on this page. http://www.where2shoot.info/store/accessories.htm

You should find that your left eye will be doing the aiming although both eyes will be open.

You could wear a patch over your right eye as an alternative.

If you are comfortable using your left shoulder then try to keep with it.

i have had a similar problem of sorts in the pasti am right handed and was right eye dominant until i had an operation on my right eye which now means that i am still rigt eye dominant but only just (i find it very easy to accidently start looking accross the gun at times.The only satisfactory solution i have found is to slightly close my left eye when shooting,not all the way as i find that a hinderence more than a help but just enough to gvemy right eye dominance again :devil: all i can say is it works for me (sometimes) ???

I'm left eye dominant , and always shot right handed (been shootin air rifles for 15 yrs)Then i got a shotgun and had to convert to a left shoulder mount. Felt kinda wierd at first . BUT i now could not dream of shouldering a gun onto my right shoulder.

Columbus gave me a fine tip when he said practice mounting your gun in the mirror.

all the best yis yp :ph34r:

I am right-handed but left eye dominant.

I learnt about it the same way as you too.

I always shot right handed and couldnt hit a barn door at 3 paces. Someone then suggested it was my eyesight so i tried left handed shooting and to be honest it feels more natural than righthanded now.

Mind you, its the only thing i can do left handed :devil:

What is your left handed gun ?