Defender 110

rimfire4969

I have sold my Hilux and have bought a 1996 Defender 110, this is a local car belonging to a old couple who have had it since new. I would like peoples ideas of what i could or should change on the motor to make it a bit better, cosmeticaly and for performance. I do spend quite a bit of time off road on our very wet shoot. So i quite fancy swaping the wheels and tyres for something alloy and better, anyother ideas????

I have sold my Hilux and have bought a 1996 Defender 110, this is a local car belonging to a old couple who have had it since new. I would like peoples ideas of what i could or should change on the motor to make it a bit better, cosmeticaly and for performance. I do spend quite a bit of time off road on our very wet shoot. So i quite fancy swaping the wheels and tyres for something alloy and better, anyother ideas????

Not sure if its too old, but make sure you get shot of the EGR and stick a straight through exhaust in place of the old.

EGR blanking kit is about £12.

Exhausts for the TDi are quite cheap.

A lot of people tend to stick aftermarket steel wheels on. They're cheap, and come with a wider "offset", than standard landy ones.

If you're feeling rich... http://mach5wheels.co.uk/index.htm#sw or google Zu wheels. They're lovely looking, but priced accordingly.

If you have a "cat" on the exhaust downpipe, get one without. They're about £25-30.

When I replaced the mid and rear sections of my Disco exhaust, I just got a run-of-the-mill pattern one, and you could see daylight, clear through both mid and rear boxes. It's not technically, a proper sports system, but you;d think it was pretty unrestricted? For the £60 or so it cost me. It's good enough.

Edited by bigjohn

If it's the 300 tdi you can play with the fuelling settings and the power screw to get quite a drastic increase in grunt for free . There are 2 or 3 stock larger intercoolers from other scrap cars which can easily be installed. Someones already mentioned erg valve and exhaust. If it's the earlier 300 you can play with boost diaphragms and increase the boost. But end of the day it's a landy and if you want detailed instructions I'd recommend you visit a dedicated land rover forum. :good:

Forget alloys if you are doing any off roading - lots of nice steels about, and they are much stronger. A good lockbox for the back to keep your guns safe & warm isn't a bad idea, LRs are not known for their security. Rig a switch up somewhere discreet that disables the fuel pump, easy and cheap anti theft device. Decent light guards look the part and might save you some cash if you are running through trees / bushes. And snorkels are naff unless you are running through 3 foot of water, which 99.9% of snorkel owners never do!

If you have serous cash to spend and want to monsterise the performance check out http://www.twistedperformance.co.uk/