Drop netting

pavman

yeah i have done it at whitby with my son. I used one of those small nets you used to get with the washing powder tablets :blink: filled with a few fish guts and a stone to weigh it down. Give it about 5 mins and pull it back up very slowly. Simples :good:

yeah i have done it at whitby with my son. I used one of those small nets you used to get with the washing powder tablets :blink: filled with a few fish guts and a stone to weigh it down. Give it about 5 mins and pull it back up very slowly. Simples :good:

used to do it with a bicycle wheel with the spokes knocked out and netting tied around.fish bait tied inside the net

left the netting about a foot long so that when it was picked up the net would drop and the crabs would get tangled up.used to do it from rocks at Marsden for those who know the North East

I had a thing for the collapsible helical prawn pots off ebay a few years back. They're like a mini lobster pot and cost about a fiver each. The zips fail on them pretty quick in salt water but they can easlly be bodged with string. What a laugh they are! The smellier the bait the better, a mackerel left out in the sun for a day seemed to work a treat, we'd get gobies, prawns, squat lobsters, small pongers, butterfish, wrasse, Eels, the lot. Brilliant fun but rarely enough for a good feed with only three pots. The anticipation as you haul it up brings out the child in you.

I know this sounds a bit nooby.. But do you need any sort of licence or anything to drop net/ pot for crabs?.. Or can you just rock up and do it?.. :blush:

Ta

Robo

As with fish if they are for your own consumption you're fine. I salvage lobster and crab pots that are washed up after storms and recondition them with salvage net and cable ties. Its great fun setting and checking the pots, just make sure you're down on the foreshore when they uncover as folk soon get wind of your activities and might nick pots and or contents.

used to do it with a bicycle wheel with the spokes knocked out and netting tied around.fish bait tied inside the net

left the netting about a foot long so that when it was picked up the net would drop and the crabs would get tangled up.used to do it from rocks at Marsden for those who know the North East

I use the same thing for Crayfish, good fun and good food

As with fish if they are for your own consumption you're fine. I salvage lobster and crab pots that are washed up after storms and recondition them with salvage net and cable ties. Its great fun setting and checking the pots, just make sure you're down on the foreshore when they uncover as folk soon get wind of your activities and might nick pots and or contents.

So do you walk the pots out to a point at low tide of something then mate? Or do you use a boat etc?..

Robo

So do you walk the pots out to a point at low tide of something then mate? Or do you use a boat etc?..

Robo

Depends where I am. If its a shallow rocky shore I walk them out and anchor them down and come back next tide. Try and leave them in a kelpy gulley as close to the low water mark as possible when the range of the tides is increasing so you will always be able to retrieve them. If its a deep water venue like a harbour arm I lower them on lines but theres always the chance that folk could lift them if you leave them unattended for too long. You've got to give it a go, its a blast.

Depends where I am. If its a shallow rocky shore I walk them out and anchor them down and come back next tide. Try and leave them in a kelpy gulley as close to the low water mark as possible when the range of the tides is increasing so you will always be able to retrieve them. If its a deep water venue like a harbour arm I lower them on lines but theres always the chance that folk could lift them if you leave them unattended for too long. You've got to give it a go, its a blast.

Yeah think I will be mate. Been at Uni by the sea for 2 years now and haven't had a go at sea fishing at all, so next year I will be definitely!! Plus I have to get footage for my filming as well so that'll help!!

My flat is even closer to the harbour next year so I'll definitely be doing it...

Robo

when i used to fish alot at whitehaven i used a fold up ****/shrimp pot thingy off ebay and it was great fun all the diffrent things that get pulled up got a 5lb conger once that was fun! and hundreds if prawns then i lost it one day in rough seas. so used a tesco shopping basket and that worked well to but was heavy and the mesh too big for shrimps. ive got 10 proper lobster pots now thou and when ime home i put them out on the boat and always get 5or more lobsters and a good few crabs

as it been said it realy brings out the child in you :blush:

So what would I be likely to catch then if I was just dropping it off beside the harbour walls or out down the beach on the low tide lines?..

Sorry about all the questions.. :blush: Just like to know what is what.. :oops::rolleyes:

Robo

from a pier

all crabs

lobster

eel/conger

wrass

prawn shirmp

butterfish

blennys

whelk

all small fish,pout/whiteing/pollock

hermit crabs

most nasty stinging fish/weaver act

the only thing i havent had in pots is flatfish of any kind,gill nets on the other hand :yp:

So what would I be likely to catch then if I was just dropping it off beside the harbour walls or out down the beach on the low tide lines?..

Sorry about all the questions.. :blush: Just like to know what is what.. :oops::rolleyes:

Robo

The most important thing you will catch is the bug to do it again and again

Are there any laws about where you can leave the pots?.. Or would I be able to put them anywhere in the harbour?..

Robo

Just use your head mate. If your lines are going to cause an accident or injury to somebody using the quay then dont leave them there. Find a quite spot where there are no berths (outside harbour preferably). Most small harbours will have a harbour master strutting about full of guff and self importance. Play a straight bat and just ask him very nicely if he minds you lowering a few traps somewhere out of the way. If he says no then go somewhere else. A quiet, rocky foreshore is best but remember that if you set them at 3 in the afternoon, you'll have to be back at half 3 in the morning if you are to garantee that nobody nicks your tackle. Check your tides on Admiralty Easytide, if going to a remote spot alone tell a mate where you are going in case you come to grief and ring them at a prearranged time so they know you are back ok. Dont expect mega catches but be prepared for the odd surprise.

You may find this interesting & informative - http://www.neseafish.gov.uk/nesfc/bylaws.html

You are required to know WHERE & WHEN to fish (using your net) and the minimum size limits / shell fish in berry etc of the 'catch' you take & use ....

I use one to catch prawns off the rocks - very handy - anything large and you get a lot of holes :o :o