worming advice

im wondering if theres anny tell tail signs to look out for worms in a young lab pup as ive friens who say she got worms cos her stomach goes in when she wolfs her food down and shes also verry hungry all the time. but personally i think thats a typical hungry pup and its a load of nonsense but wat i would look out for is is dragging across the floor and excessive liking also hunger and a loss of weight

if annyone has anny extra advise it would be good also ive given her a tablet wormer as precaution

thanks. chris

Labs are always hungry in my experience, we've had two and they were both gannets gannets. The most obvious sign will be worms or bits of worms in the pups stools, check everytime they pass one. I do it regardless when they are wormed as you will also be able to tell from the stool whether the bowel is inflamed or whether they have been eating anything they shouldnt like bedding etc. It can get bloody expensive when the develope bad habits like that. When I got my Terrier from a 'reputable breeder' the first thing he did when let out was to go and eat gravel from the road like he was gritting. He had a bad case of worms and must have been trying to ease the discomfort of them in his guts. Within 2 days of treatment he was fine.

Its worth having a strict routine for your parasite treatments especially if youre in one of the areas of the UK that has those doublehard foreign ticks that carry dog killing disease, I've got a calender just for the dogs with their seasons, treatments, vet appointments and observations etc all marked up.

Milebax, Drontal, Panacur - you should rotate the type of wormer you use, although I must admit I am guilty of not doing that :blush:

Your vet will keep you right.

No need to rotate wormer as there is such an overlap of ingredients. Panacur and Drontal share a drug (febantal = fenbendazole) and Milbemax and Drontal share Praziquantel!

Panacur doesn't do all the tapeworms so is not a good choice for adult dogs. Very good and safe for puppies and pregnant bitches.

always get mine from the vets (only 2 dogs to treat so not too expensive) as pet shops sometimes don't have a broad spectrum type or the dosage is wrong, take a trip to the vets get the dog weighed it is all good experience for them to go to the practice regularly usually no appointment is necessary just pop in when your passing and a nurse will sort you out and make a fuss of the dog.

jan

sounds like you friends been playing in the fields with bulls.

as already said, worm the dog as to what it says on the box and regularly, then stop worrying.

I use dontal+ and i buy it from the game fair for about 70p a tablet as they always have deals on. pet meds online i remember rightly.