defender advice

foxnet22

ive been asked if i would like to swap my l200 for a defender.would like to ask any defender owners if they could advise me on what to look out for on the defender ie common faults,usuall weak spots etc, etc. gratefull for all reply,s

Rust, head gasket, dodgy previous owner.

depends on the age of the motor . You could say all the above about any car . L200s are not without there problems .

Bulkhead front corners below the windscreen, door bottoms , rear door inner frame are the obvious ones .Oil leaks and front swivels can be a pain , There is nothing on a Defender that is expensive to fix as parts are easily available

• 2 weeks later...

I've had two both well over 10 years old when I had them. Both great and very reliable. If chassis has been treated its fine. Expect bubbling paint.

Front doors leak very badly but doesn't matter as the water just drains out. early td5 have a big flat spot on acceleration. Gets better with the later ones. Loved mine poofed out to buy a disco which was great but now I'm proper hard core with a 101.

I've had two both well over 10 years old when I had them. Both great and very reliable. If chassis has been treated its fine. Expect bubbling paint.

Front doors leak very badly but doesn't matter as the water just drains out. early td5 have a big flat spot on acceleration. Gets better with the later ones. Loved mine poofed out to buy a disco which was great but now I'm proper hard core with a 101.

I agree with chally2. I've had suzuki's, A toyota hilux and an l200. Now i have a 110 td5 double cab pick up and love it to bits.

I can see it staying as part of the family and being rebuilt and passed down to my 3 year old girl :yes: