My favourite woodland walk!

Frenchieboy

I was a bit down this morning after getting the news at a very dear friend had passed away during the night so I decided to have a bit of "quiet time" and take a walk in the woods at the back of where I live and took the camera with me. It's quite surprising what you can see if you really look! I found a fir tree that had some very unusual coloured cones on it. I don't know what type of tree it is but I was surprised by the colour of the cones as I had never paid any real attention to it before. Here are a few photos that I took. One shows cones in the normal colour of the cones in the wood and the other shows the "unusual" coloured cones - The tree is crammed with them!

There is a short slide show on Youtube with some backing music that shows all of the photos I took if anyone is interested.

post-17172-0-46329000-1306959243.jpg

post-17172-0-65742600-1306959255.jpg

Edited by Frenchieboy

I'm not too sure what the tune is called Lee, I just picked it at random from the tunes available from Youtube in the catagory titled "Moods" as it was about the right lenght for the slide show.

Kes and Sako751sg, You could be right thinking the tree might be a larch, I hadn't really thought about it before, I will have to see if it drops it's needles this Autumn.

I had never noticed cones this colour before - I wonder if they would keep their colour if they were dried and used for a dried flower arrangement.

I walk in that wood daily with my dog so it just goes to show that you can miss so much if you don't look properly or if you just take things for granted. The wood is literally filled with birdsong which make it such a pleasurable walk when you want a bit of "Me Time", it has a couple of active badger sets, an active foxes earth (The fox comes through our rear car park between 12:00 and 12:30 every night) and occasionally the odd Roe Deer which are very hard to spot with all the leaf on the tree and the undergrowth being so high at this time of the year. I consider myself very lucky to have such a place right on my back doorstep to walk in and enjoy when I want some time on my own! :good:

Just asked my dad about the cones as he is pretty good with trees. Apparently there are a lot of coniferous trees that have purple cones, a few examples being Japanese Larch, Ground Fir, Noble Fir. Like others have said above, I'd put my money in Larch.

I'm not too sure what the tune is called Lee, I just picked it at random from the tunes available from Youtube in the catagory titled "Moods" as it was about the right lenght for the slide show.

Kes and Sako751sg, You could be right thinking the tree might be a larch, I hadn't really thought about it before, I will have to see if it drops it's needles this Autumn.

I had never noticed cones this colour before - I wonder if they would keep their colour if they were dried and used for a dried flower arrangement.

I walk in that wood daily with my dog so it just goes to show that you can miss so much if you don't look properly or if you just take things for granted. The wood is literally filled with birdsong which make it such a pleasurable walk when you want a bit of "Me Time", it has a couple of active badger sets, an active foxes earth (The fox comes through our rear car park between 12:00 and 12:30 every night) and occasionally the odd Roe Deer which are very hard to spot with all the leaf on the tree and the undergrowth being so high at this time of the year. I consider myself very lucky to have such a place right on my back doorstep to walk in and enjoy when I want some time on my own! :good:

Spot on Frenchie....when I was a young man one of my favourite passtimes was climbing up an old dead elm tree which had broken off about 3/4 of the way up into the canopy of surrounding mixed woodland and spending the whole of the day with a thermos, some sandwiches a sketch book and my binoculars...I could nestle into the broken trunk and pull surrounding branches of an adjacent beech tree down to form a natural camoflage. There was a clearing and a sunlit glade below me and it had a small dew pond in the corner in which all manner of birds and animals came to drink during the day.

On memorable occassion there were two male moles fighting in the leaf litter which went on for about 20 minutes then suddenly a large stoat appeared and as quick as a flash killed them both. ! One year I watched in amazement as a female Gos landed in the canopy not 10 feet from me and proceeded to dismember a small grey squirrel she had caught..I kept as still and as quiet as I could for what must have been 40 minutes watching her has she fed and then preened herself..

One thing which was suprised me was the sheer volume of butterflies which you would see in the canopy, not your average cabbage white or tortoise shell but woodland species along with hairstreaks, skippers, and fritillaries... not feeding as such but just sunbathing...

As you rightly say we often look but we dont really see the things around us....

Ive been a naturalist and very keen Birdwatcher for over 40 years and every time I go out I observe or learn something different. :yes: