MDPE Pipe any type and Armoured Cable

kighill

Here's hoping.

I am putting a shed in the garden minimum size is 36 feet x 12 feet and need the following.

MDPE Pipe, type does not really matter water/gas/blue/yellow/black. Provided I can fit a 10mm armoured cable through it. I need about 100 metres and it would be nice to be in one length but not essential. MDPE PIPE NO LONGER REQUIRED

Armoured cable 10mm 3 core, about 50 metres. Here is the catch, like most people at the moment cash is a bit scarce, I know the cable is costly, but would like it to be cheap as chips or possibly fish and chips.

Please let me know what you have by Personal message. I WOULD prefer it to be within about 20 miles of Nottingham.

Tall order, but if you do not ask!!!

Thank you to all for the comments etc. I have had an electrician view the job and he advised 10mm cable having seen the machinery I will be using. The machinery is currently in the garage and some cannot be used due to an insufficient cable/power supply having been installed by the previous owner. Had the cable been installed in a pipe of any colour it would of been a simple job to pull it out and upgrade with heavier duty cable. Alas it was not so would require a 20 metre section of drive digging up.

This will also allow for any further additions.

I am also having the consumer unit in my house upgraded and replaced.

I appreciate the advice regards MDPE water pipe etc. However I will place a warning electricity tape over this.

Ps Does anyone have any please?

Edited by kighill

Why the pipe? if you are using armoured cable it is in regulation to just bury it the pipe is not needed as the armour wrap around the inner core cable acts as the mechanical barrier required. Also 10 mm 3 core is a big old chunk of cable capable of 75A what are you looking to power? If you are just looking to power some sockets and lights then 2.5mm will be adequate as is capable of 34A as standard sockets are now run off a 32A MCB. Hope this is helpful if not and im off the mark sorry.

Just for info 2.5mm, 3 core armoured cable is available off a well known auction site and 100m delivered will be about £130, i get it from there as is cheaper than most. Also they do it in the standard wiring colours as alot of manufacturers use the outer sheaf as the earth.

On the subject of cable, and ebygumbay.

A week or so ago I watched a TV programme Fake Britain, hosted by Dominic Littlewood.

The programme featured FAKE cable.

Cable whick claimed to be to specific standards, but failed misserably under test conditions.

There was a massive warehouse raided by trading standards, the product destroyed.

The was a large aray of electic cables on display, they had ripped off fire alarm cable which is supposed to perform for 3 hours under test fire conditions, the fake cable didn't last 3 minutes.

Under the circumstances I would be wary of buying cable via ebygumbay, and would be tempted to stick with product purchased from an established national electrical wholesaler where suspect product would be unlikely to have entered their supply chain.

webber

If you are planning to run for 100m then you will need 10mm to allow for volt drop due to the resistance of the copper/cable.

As for pipe/duct not needed, put on an RCD protected circuit and be sure to properly terminate the armor sheath to earth.

10mm is a bit of a monster 6mm would be sufficient for the long run, 6mm cable has an mV/A/m 6.4 for 3 core following voltage drop calculations standard house circuit/appliances are 12.5A and the run is 100m 6.4x12.5x100= 8000 divided by 1000 = 8v drop over the 100m the allowable voltage drop is 4% of 240v = 9.6v. 6mm well within limits

It is bad practice to put cable in blue (water) or yellow (gas) PE pipe as they colour coded to indicate what they carry.

One day in the future, possibly when you have moved on some poor unsuspecting plumber or gas man may cut into it with a metal hacksaw or try to 'squeeze it off' and be killed or seriously injured by the live cable inside.

It is bad practice to put cable in blue (water) or yellow (gas) PE pipe as they colour coded to indicate what they carry.

One day in the future, possibly when you have moved on some poor unsuspecting plumber or gas man may cut into it with a metal hacksaw or try to 'squeeze it off' and be killed or seriously injured by the live cable inside.

:stupid:

• 5 months later...