Phesant Eggs

Does this sound right.

Incubation

Unfortunately, pheasant eggs do not hatch as well as other poultry eggs in modern forced-draught incubators. Hatching results are much better using broody hens or still-air machines. With a commercial operation, using brooding hens is completely out of the question and still-air machines need much more attention and labour than automatic forced-draught incubators. Some types of forced-draught incubators give better hatching results than others.

The normal time of incubation for ‘True’ pheasant eggs is 24–25 days. The actual time will be governed by factors such as age and method of storing eggs, and management of the incubator, in particular its temperature and humidity.

Temperature

The manufacturers’ recommendations for operation of incubators should be followed at all times. As a guide, forced-draught machines should operate at a temperature of approximately 37.5°C during incubation.

Humidity

Correct humidity control is essential for pheasant eggs. The humidity should be approximately 65% (30.5°C wet bulb) for the first 21 days of incubation, and should then be increased to 90% (34°C wet bulb) until hatching is completed. Humidity readings can be obtained using a wet bulb thermometer.

If high humidity is not maintained at hatching, the chick will have difficulty penetrating the membrane of the shell which will be too hard and rubbery. Keep moisture trays filled with warm water at all times and increase humidity at hatching time by hanging wet hessian in the incubators, or by using automatic misting sprays in the cabinet of the incubator.

Turning

Eggs must be turned regularly during incubation to prevent the embryo from sticking to the shell. The more frequently the eggs are turned, the more chickens will hatch successfully. Some incubators are fitted with automatic devices to turn eggs every hour.

If the eggs are turned by hand, they will probably not be turned during the night. It is important that eggs do not spend two consecutive nights on the same side. To avoid this, turn the eggs at a vertical angle of 90° an odd (not an even) number of times during the day. Don’t set and hatch eggs in the same machine unless they are all at the same stage of incubation.

Too much humidity and the airsac will not deveolp large enough and the chick will drown as it tries to hatch out!! I say about 50%, then increase it to about 75-80%.

Don't be put off. I hatched 12 out of 12 earleir in the year. You can pretty much treat them like hens eggs. Like it says above about 24 - 25 days or so. I use a force draught incubator, and try to keep it to 100F, a degree each way doesnt matter.

Make sure if you use an incubator it is disinfected first, otherwise acteria can pass through the shell and kill the embryo.

Nb. The eggs are quite hard to candle, you might not be able to see the veins eveloping, but should be able to see the air sac increase and they feel different(in weight and hollowness) as they near hatching, you will see what I mean at the time.

They are easy really! You will be surprised at how strong they are when the hatch compared to hens.

They have all the traits of adult pheasants, moving with there heads low to the ground as they skulk around, be warned though when they get bigger they fly like helicoptors!

Good luck!

Too much humidity and the airsac will not deveolp large enough and the chick will drown as it tries to hatch out!! I say about 50%, then increase it to about 75-80%.

Don't be put off. I hatched 12 out of 12 earleir in the year. You can pretty much treat them like hens eggs. Like it says above about 24 - 25 days or so. I use a force draught incubator, and try to keep it to 100F, a degree each way doesnt matter.

Make sure if you use an incubator it is disinfected first, otherwise acteria can pass through the shell and kill the embryo.

Completely washed out with Virkon today

Nb. The eggs are quite hard to candle, you might not be able to see the veins eveloping, but should be able to see the air sac increase and they feel different(in weight and hollowness) as they near hatching, you will see what I mean at the time.

Cheers, went through the batch of eggs with a candler to check for cracks; i was able to see the difference between them and my bantam eggs

They are easy really! You will be surprised at how strong they are when the hatch compared to hens.

They have all the traits of adult pheasants, moving with there heads low to the ground as they skulk around, be warned though when they get bigger they fly like helicoptors!

Yeah i have incubated, reared and released Pheasants before, it was just the vital statistics that had eluded me!

Good luck!

Many Thanks very usefull information.

• 2 weeks later...

First time for me incubating pheasant eggs.

The instructions with my R-com Suro say for pheasants 37.5 degrees c for turning and 37 when stopped turning. And for humidity 45% turning, and raised to 65% when not turning the last few days. Hope this helps. Will be interesting to hear how you get on! I think mine are due to hatch about the 10th.

Does this sound right.

Incubation

Unfortunately, pheasant eggs do not hatch as well as other poultry eggs in modern forced-draught incubators. Hatching results are much better using broody hens or still-air machines. With a commercial operation, using brooding hens is completely out of the question and still-air machines need much more attention and labour than automatic forced-draught incubators. Some types of forced-draught incubators give better hatching results than others.

Turning

Eggs must be turned regularly during incubation to prevent the embryo from sticking to the shell. The more frequently the eggs are turned, the more chickens will hatch successfully. Some incubators are fitted with automatic devices to turn eggs every hour.

No this doesnt sound right to me, can't see too many chickens hatching from pheasant eggs but I am ready to be amazed as you learn something new every day. :rolleyes:

On a serious not hope it all goes well. :good:

• 2 years later...

hi, may be a bit late but this is what i do for pheasants.. :-

temp 37.5 humidity 45 and turn 3 times aday or more if using a auto incubator

candle eggs on day 7. discard any not developed.

day 19 stop turning, put temp down to 37- 36.5 and rasie humidty as much as you can.. 70-80 works for me every time 90%+ hatch rate.

just dont keep opening and closeing incubator. need to forget about them til day 19