What Gun?

Paddy

Hi Guys. I'm new to this pigeon shooting lark- excuse the pun! I'm normally a clay shooter and have an O/U for the job and have just bought a S/S for rough shooting - it's a Sarasqueta solely 'cause it was relatively cheap! Was I right or wrong to go for the S/S as the Lanber I have for clays is too heavy to lug through fields?

The key to success is to shoot what-ever you are confident with....  

A 3 shot auto is light and recoil free but not a easy to aim as

an under and over...

Everyone will have an oppinion - none will be right or wrong, it's personal prefreance...

Good luck    and welcome to the world of on-line pigeon shooting. 8)  8)  8)

Welcome Paddy,

dead-eye is right, its what you are most comfortable with.

Some good shots who regularly use O/Us, struggle with a S/S and vice versa.

Its generally accepted that the view of a "single" barrel, as in an O/U or Auto, is the easiest to aim.

A lot of clay shooters that I  know, think that you really should shoot a S/S in the "field".

Once upon a time, it was considered the correct gun for formal driven game shoots, but not anymore.

They don,t like you using Autos on the drives though. :angry:

I had a S/S Sarasqueta once, a very nice looking gun with some excellent wood.

I sold it to a chap who paid me "over the odds" because of the fine wood grain.

It was a very light gun, as I recall.

So I guess I wasn't far off then! I hope to undertake my first outing this weekend. Just received my insurance and am meeting my "kind farmer" this evening, I have the deeks and with the wealth of knowledgd I have gained over the last few weeks reading the forum I hope to bag a few!

Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know ho I get on!

Well guys I did it. Killed my first pigeon on Sunday morning!:angry: I had two hours in the field 7 - 9am and had 7 deeks, no hide just backed into the ditch. It's amazing how good their eyesight is. Although I had plenty of "visitors" only one landed and he did so as soon as I put the deeks down and hadn't loaded the gun! It was raining and I had lots of interest but only one kill - he flew in over the ditch I was in and about three feet from landing decided there was something fishy and began his upward flight at which time I took him out clean, with one barrel. The main flight line was coming towards me. No matter how much I tried to hide from them and from the rain they saw me well beyond range - although I did use 20 shells just in case they were hitable - and they scurried off. I guess I'll have to invest in a hide! Any suggestions as to what to get?

Pads. :angry:  :angry: