Rutland Water

JustJon

H,

Just back from a couple of days on Rutland Water. 6 of us fished the first day and 4 the second day. We had Rob Waddington and his team give us a morning's casting practice and then ghillie for us out on the water.

We all caught - from an afternoon and a full day we took 23 fish. 1 pike of around 8 or 9 pound came close to the boot then decided to bite through the line. 22 rainbow trout caught and a single zander taken by myself.

Excuse the poor smile, bad image and dodgy hat but this is me...

post-31839-0-66400400-1309508124.jpg

Edited by JustJon

nice fish - didnt realise rutland had zander? (dont suppose it went back!)

Thats a new one on me also. Bet it would eat nice, never fancied eating a fen Zandy but i'd have a go on a Trout fed one.

Whats the policy when you catch one?

Nice pic mate.

EDIT - Just seen all above three pound get returned. Nice to see they embrace them.

Edited by ack-ack

I knocked one on the head last time I did Rutland (the place is stuffed with them, 80 or 90 to a boat is pretty common to jigs) I cant say I was overly impressed with the flavour, It wasnt bad tasting, just bland really. Lots of people seem to love them though.

Did you see Robs fising room? I have to get me one of those!

Last time i was out we had loads of zander up to about 6lb and a pike of just under 10. The spot for zander is about 10 feet from normanton church stones, Every drift produced a fish! Strangely enough had a few trout from the same spot. I reckon if you could get down below the small zander there would be some good uns lurking there. A bloke had a 15lb one a couple of weeks ago during a match but it swallowed the lure and had to be taken out. Impressive fish.

I'm assuming the Zander weren't stocked. How long have they been in there?

Whats theRutland record?

Have any of the other big reservoirs got them?

I thought they were mainly confined to Anglia and a few stately homes, how far have they spread through the UK?

Yup,Rutland has the numbers but Grafhams the place for lumps! The first week of predator fishing normally throws up some nice fish. Normally the deep water round the tower and off the sailing club are the bankers for Zander, I look for at least 70ish foot (this is with Jigs though, not flys!)