waiting for sgc

hi all.

i live in sheffield and i am a regular clay shooter at my local club, i enjoy it so much i have put in for my SGC i sent it off on the 26/05/11 they sent me a reciept on the 10th july for my £50 fee and wich they have taken, bare with me dont mean to bore you.

and last week i got a letter from my doctor saying police are requesting my medical file wich i am fine with, but i am being charged extra money for this by my GP pluss have to take up an appointment to sit with the doctor just to send off my report back to the police, so once i have done this wich is this tue 4th july so i must be close now as the police said when they get my report back they will send an officer to see me.

My question is dose, it sound like i will get my SGC or not? i have been in trouble in the long past but never for hurting any one or been sent to prison or ever used a weapon on any one and i never would, so is it normal for it to take so long for sheffield?.

Just would be intrested in what you think. :hmm:

Hornet 6 hi, well went to see doctor today and they charged me £30 out of my pocket and yes you was correct the police said they would pay for it doctor just has to send a invoice to the police, but not my doctor he wanted me to pay wich i have gladly to get it done with, as the police have to do all this work to grant a sgc and only charge £50 to do it well i dont mind spending a bit more.

Just waiting for call now. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Never had a problem here in wakefield, never had to pay doctors fees either, although when I got my first SGC it took almost 5 months from start to finish, I believe one officer was on a rather long holiday & the other was on sick, thats according to the grapevine, bad timing on my part, As I always say, if you`ve done nowt wrong you aint got owt to worry about. Chin up it will come thru eventually.

Forgive me, but your post is too vague to answer. You say you have been in trouble - long ago. Over a period of time, lots of posters come on here to ask the same questions. It normally emerges that their idea of long ago is a couple of years. Their idea of a bit of trouble inevitably gets a lot more serious.

It doesn't sound to be taking too long, but whether you will get one - who can say, based on less than half a tale.

hotshot jay.. mine took 3 months to come just waiting for them to check my cabinet and off i go... you say you had a bit of bother in the past ... so had i i told the officer what i had and we had a chat about it well over 20 years mind as long as your honest with them and come clean and dont leave anything out you should be ok but DO tell them everything mate they know beleive me they knew id worked the doors 18 years back was rather a shock.... it takes a while as for doctors i didnt have that just a visit and a chat hope it goes well for you mate good luck

Our area FEO in Lewes,West Sussex are currently 12 weeks behind on all firearms enquiries(3 months) and one guy at our local club waited months before chasing up his first issue FAC only to be told they had no record of it/him :blink: He'd even sent it recorded delivery and they still managed to lose the whole lot-referees,cheque etc!!

As for your doctor charging you, I wouldn't be surprised is he still invoices the police and doubles his money(it happens :angry: ) . As long as your 'past' didn't involve anything 'serious' you 'should' be ok but if the local force want to get funny they'll find something- even speeding tickets have been used in past to deny FAC's but I don't think it'd stand up for a valid SGC refusal so you should be fine unless you stabbed,run someone over or robbed a bank!!

One things for sure....if you get to the FEO home visit stage then it's pretty much in the bag :good:

atvb

(keeping my barrels crossed for ya bud)

sg1

Hornet 6 hi, well went to see doctor today and they charged me £30 out of my pocket and yes you was correct the police said they would pay for it doctor just has to send a invoice to the police, but not my doctor he wanted me to pay wich i have gladly to get it done with, as the police have to do all this work to grant a sgc and only charge £50 to do it well i dont mind spending a bit more.

Just waiting for call now. B)

I had the same problem, it was easy to deal with. Make sure you get a receipt from your doctor - they have to give you one. Send this (after copying it, sometimes things get lost) to your FEO after phoning them and they will reimburse you - took about 6 weeks for my cheque to come through from the police. If your doctor is double charging, he/she will have a visit from the FEO/local police they won't forget in a hurry! My FEO thought my GP was double charging and was talking about chewing out the GP, as the FEO was of the opinion that to charge two people for the same report was illegal! Turned out the GP wasn't charging twice, so all was OK, police were more than happy to reimburse me.

As far as the medical report is concerned, main things the police don't like to see on a medical are suicidality and/or chronic unstable depression/ psychosis, and they will visit you specific to severe physical illness, just to check you arent going to finish off old scores/ top yourself/ save Dignitas some money. I suffer from a shedload of illnesses, and my SGC was granted OK, the FEO said he was more checking that I was still alive, after the info I put on the form :lol: ! So you should be OK.

Good luck and happy shooting :good:

Edited by Bloke

Forgive me, but your post is too vague to answer. You say you have been in trouble - long ago. Over a period of time, lots of posters come on here to ask the same questions. It normally emerges that their idea of long ago is a couple of years. Their idea of a bit of trouble inevitably gets a lot more serious.

It doesn't sound to be taking too long, but whether you will get one - who can say, based on less than half a tale.

You are right it is vague, but with respect i didn't want to share this information, but i can promise you its not that bad and it was around 10 yrs ago no prison no one was hurt or any major incident like that.

I only really was asking that if i had come this far with may application and i am now awaiting viz from my FLO is it a good sign? as some people was telling me if they have took your money you are fine etc, etc, but as i am well aware now that even though i have got this far it could still be a NO.

i just need to wait and see and i will respect the police decision on this.

Thanks j.

I had the same problem, it was easy to deal with. Make sure you get a receipt from your doctor - they have to give you one. Send this (after copying it, sometimes things get lost) to your FEO after phoning them and they will reimburse you - took about 6 weeks for my cheque to come through from the police. If your doctor is double charging, he/she will have a visit from the FEO/local police they won't forget in a hurry! My FEO thought my GP was double charging and was talking about chewing out the GP, as the FEO was of the opinion that to charge two people for the same report was illegal! Turned out the GP wasn't charging twice, so all was OK, police were more than happy to reimburse me.

As far as the medical report is concerned, main things the police don't like to see on a medical are suicidality and/or chronic unstable depression/ psychosis, and they will visit you specific to severe physical illness, just to check you arent going to finish off old scores/ top yourself/ save Dignitas some money. I suffer from a shedload of illnesses, and my SGC was granted OK, the FEO said he was more checking that I was still alive, after the info I put on the form :lol: ! So you should be OK.

Good luck and happy shooting :good:

Thanks pal. :good:

Our area FEO in Lewes,West Sussex are currently 12 weeks behind on all firearms enquiries(3 months) and one guy at our local club waited months before chasing up his first issue FAC only to be told they had no record of it/him :blink: He'd even sent it recorded delivery and they still managed to lose the whole lot-referees,cheque etc!!

As for your doctor charging you, I wouldn't be surprised is he still invoices the police and doubles his money(it happens :angry: ) . As long as your 'past' didn't involve anything 'serious' you 'should' be ok but if the local force want to get funny they'll find something- even speeding tickets have been used in past to deny FAC's but I don't think it'd stand up for a valid SGC refusal so you should be fine unless you stabbed,run someone over or robbed a bank!!

One things for sure....if you get to the FEO home visit stage then it's pretty much in the bag :good:

atvb

(keeping my barrels crossed for ya bud)

sg1

Lol. No not been in that kind of bother, and a goverment body employ me based on my passed but i supose owning a gun is a bigger responsabilty. :good:

Thank j

Well thanks all for your support, and believe me you have all give me a better awareness of the hole process, and weather i get it or not i will let you know, as i bet many who have been turned down wouldn't, but i will tell you all either way.

It will not stop me shooting as i still enjoy clay so much.

Thank again see you all when i know more just waiting on visit now as i have been told all check on me have been made now, or so i have been led to believe.

:good:

Edited by hotshot_jay

Two things from me -

The cops cant access your medical records just cos they feel like it, even if you give consent they still need a good reason.

And a doctor cant charge the applicant for either the records or a referance.

Hope this isn't tooo pointless

With all due respect - I am surprised you mentioned the "trouble" if you did not wish to share the information. I say again - people ask for an opinion, whilst giving half a tale.

Bit of a waste of time. :good:

gordon r maybe hotshot shot is embarressed or even ashamed of his past..if he s been ok for 10 years good on him as i know youll agree if he s genuinly been out of bother he should be given the chance ..

Edited by pigeonstew