223 fmj ammo

it depends if it's actually .223 FMJ (in which case it's fine), if it's 5.56mm FMJ (ie military spec) then it's a no go.

Absolutely!! :yes::yes:

Lets get this FMJ and Military 5.56 out of the way.

There is an availability of many .223 FMJ, they will not be an issue.

Use 5.56 in a .223 at your own risk!

As I always say, feed it what it says, and I guess your rifle has .223 stamped on it, and not 5.56. :hmm::yes::good:

We use whatever is available and never found it a problem. If you have .223 on your certificate you can't buy 5.56mm anyway, My gripe with 5.56mm ammo is that its not that accurate. But don't go thinking that your .223 can't handle it because its way safe to use in a modern rifle, its just not accurate. Its military grade, thats all.

Cheap ammo can be the most expensive ammo you will ever buy if it won't group. Privi .223 fmj shoots like a dream. So does the German "blue box" .223 and both are very cheap. American Eagle .223 is pretty good too but not as good as Privi. OK on 200 yds but not at longer ranges where it starts to open up.

Some of the military 5.56mm ammo won't hold a good group at 200yds

Edited by Vince Green

We use whatever is available and never found it a problem. If you have .223 on your certificate you can't buy 5.56mm anyway, My gripe with 5.56mm ammo is that its not that accurate. But don't go thinking that your .223 can't handle it because its way safe to use in a modern rifle, its just not accurate. Its military grade, thats all.

Cheap ammo can be the most expensive ammo you will ever buy if it won't group. Privi .223 fmj shoots like a dream. So does the German "blue box" .223 and both are very cheap. American Eagle .223 is pretty good too but not as good as Privi. OK on 200 yds but not at longer ranges where it starts to open up.

Some of the military 5.56mm ammo won't hold a good group at 200yds

As per the link, this is well known and the 5.56 will have a higher pressure than .223, etc. My .223 and .308 are both conditioned...... 223/5.56 and .308/7.62 because that is what I asked for, so I could keep all my options open.

http://www.thegunzone.com/556v223.html

The choice is yours and many modern .223 rifles may well be fine, the question is... "Do you feel lucky?"

Edited by Dekers