Today on barley stubble

bunny_blaster

I went out today on a half cut field of barley stubble. I got there at 10 and the field was full of Crows and Jackdaws but very few pigeons. This is 1 of only 3 stubble fields in the area and none of them had pigeons on them. There was a few birds flying about so i decided to set up in hope and chose a small oak tree in the middle of the field. I started setting my hide up then realised id set my seat on top of a bee's nest so quickly got my gear and moved. I ended up setting my hide against a straw bale in the middle of the stubble. I put my decoys and magnet out and got settled in. Pigeons started coming in to have a look near enough straight away and i put the first bird on the flapper. The birds came in steady most of the day and finally stopped at 4. I called it a day at 4.45 and packed my gear up. A strange thing i noticed it that 1 of the pigeons was full of raped seed?? Seems a bit early for the rape round here so i will have a ring about tomorrow and see whats what. I finished with 91 in total.

Cheers

Ben

photo-10.jpg

great stuff ben :good: the rape seed you talk about could be from birds feeding on standing rape,i,m seeing birds drop off the wires onto the standing rape i shot a couple over standing wheat that were full of rape seed but none has been harvested around us yet