Gun cleaning

Mat2803

Hi all just after sum advice on cleaning a 177 hw 95 iv been shooting for sum time now but only in the last 6 months have got really into it iv bought a cleaning kit after watching a viedo on you tube on how a dirty barral will affect accuary and just wondered when cleaning with brush should I use an oil with the brush or just a dry brush iv also seen a viedo on cleaning pellets is this a good thing to do also any advice much appreciated thanks

HI mate

For what its worth I never clean my air rifle barrels unless they have been unused for a few months or it loses some of its accuracy. When I clean them I use a pull through and a lightly oiled cloth making sure not to get any oil in the cylinder, finish off with a dry cloth. Try to use the air rifle as soon as possible to re lead the barrel and protect it. If by cleaning pellets you mean the little foamy white ones, I would never use one in a spring gun as you will in effect be dry firing it. You may also find that your accuracy wanders for a while after cleaning as the barrel gets re leaded.

This is what I do anyway.

Thanks for info I'll try that no sorry I mean cleaning lead pellets what I seen was a guy washing with water then lightly oiling them maybe im just reeding too much into this but my accuracy is out and have not knocked Rifle but also haven't cleaned gun probley for years and this is after consistencley getting pellets within a10 pence piece at 100ft only zeroed in a few days ago now carnt even hit my target rabbit in the head out buy a copple ov inches in any direction

HI Mate

Some of the target shooters weight and wash pellets etc. I do not bother with either with either but that is just me lol.

Has your accuracy suddely dropped off or slowly got worse? It would be as well to check your scope mounts etc are tight.

What pellets are you using? I find H&N FTT or AA Fields or JSB exacts (rebranded AA Fields I am told) work best in my HWs

I'm using super points I think there called super field points and found that they have best auccrucy so far but I'm going to try your suggestions mounts are tight I'll have another good look round rifle and look for owt ovious thanks

Could be well worth cleaning the barrel if its not been done for years as you say ,make sure you remove any oil with a clean bit of cloth on the pull through though,also you say you are using a pointed pellet,I would be amazed if they are the most accurate in your gun as it is a fact pointed are never as good accuracy wise as domed or flat head.

I'm using super points I think there called super field points and found that they have best auccrucy so far but I'm going to try your suggestions mounts are tight I'll have another good look round rifle and look for owt ovious thanks

Try getting hold of a tin of RWS superdomes & put 40 / 50 through then try zeroing it & punching some paper, have agree, pointed pellets are, in my experience a waste of money

post-41661-0-53194100-1311805772.jpeg

If by cleaning pellets you mean the little foamy white ones, I would never use one in a spring gun as you will in effect be dry firing it. Y

Stick a pellet behind it and then fire :good:

atvb

sg1

**sorry, just seen above mention of my suggestion**

Edited by sg1

Try getting hold of a tin of RWS superdomes & put 40 / 50 through then try zeroing it & punching some paper, have agree, pointed pellets are, in my experience a waste of money

Iv bought a few sample packs ov domed pellets in all honesty iv not tried the domed one il be giving them a try thanks all

DO NOT USE BRUNOX TURBO SPRAY to soak the cleaning pellets. I have like a twit and am probably going to have to send my rifle back to Falcon as the barrel is now loose :oops: . Reading on the internet (after the event as usual) it seems that the barrel is held in place with some form of loctite and Im guessing the solvents have affected it.

Very grumpy Sodit :angry:

Hi not holding zero before zeroing make sure all of your rifle bolts screws and mounts are tight try to zero on a non windy day if it's still losing zero may need some moly on the spring what the members say about RWS superdomes is true a good all rounder for most rifles

As many on this site know I do a lot of rifle/shotgun cleaning and in my mind, whilst it is a pain in the ***, it is worth it.

I also run 12ft lb and 26ftlb air rifles and they VERY rarely get a barrel clean, as the lead does it for you, and even at FAC speeds not much gets laid down the barrel!

By all means clean and service other working parts and check the crown stays clean, but unless you use daft plastic/steel/whatever pellets/darts, barrel cleaning should not be a big issue! :good:

Hi all thanks for the info taken all comments on bord have now switched to super domes rws I'm now finding good grouping but have also bought new scopes (not saying the old ones were at fault but the zoom would go blured after 5 so in need of sum anyway) zeroed in at 100ft and all kill zones so went out on to the bunnys and two clean kills happy bunny now thanks again pardon the pun