bsa ultra 177 single shot

staffyspen

I have used the Bisley Pest Control pellets in .22 through my old QB78D and found that they took the gun a little over the lagal limit so I had to detune it a little. In my .177 I now use BSA Interceptors - 7.87 grains - They do the job very well with feral pigeons - When I hit one with one of these pellets they don't fly off, they are very hard hitting pellets.

I don't know if this will help you, I hope it does! :good:

hi all,

just wondering if anyone has used the above pellet or the rifle/pellet combo?

trying new pellets as air arms arent doing it for me at 25 yards and average 12.6ft/p!!

thanks

Before testing different pellets I would get your power turned down as a matter of urgency, pcp's are more efficient with heavier pellets, if you get stopped and tested you are in FAC territory and liable to get a whole lot of trouble.

Bear in mind that testing can be done with any pellet, anything which goes over 12 ft lbs gives you a conviction for firearms offences.

What the heck is going on in this section?.First we have a chap who seemed determined to show a picture of a protected bird that he had shot and now you,staffypen, are freely admitting to owning an Airgun capable of power over the legal limit i.e. a Firearm.We have no idea of the people on here or why they are here-I can call myself "destroyspigeonsalldaylong"but that does not mean that I am not an anti employed by the RSPCA.Lets be a bit more sensible shall we? :hmm:

It would be the pellet that took the gun over limit, I did a lot of testing with pellets when I got my Ultra and did see just one shot that was 13ft/lb.

It was a Airarms field pellet that was underweight, I weighed about fifty and there was such a large variation I stopped using them, if your going to test pellets I recommend getting a set of digital scales that way you get a more accurate reading with your chrono, dont rely on printed pellet weight data.

I only use Bisley Magnum pellets in my .177 Ultra, filled to 190bar this gives me around 10.5-11 ft/lb, well under the limit and still enough stopping power.

I also use my chrono about once a month just to make sure all my airguns are legal.

With the greatest respect,lineshooter,it does,nt make a difference if it was the pellet or his lucky underpants pushing the gun over the limit-the fact remains that he publicly stated that his gun was AVERAGING 12.6 ft/lb and thus illegal.Using an Air Rifle that is "capable"of exceeding a muzzle energy of 12ft/lb without a FAC is a criminal offence-talking about it on a public forum is asking for trouble.I hate to be a party pooper but we need to watch our backs.

with the greatest respect, brunowhateveryournameis, i bought the rifle with the understanding it had just had a service at bsa,

was chrono'd and legal, i bought a new tin of pellets and put 10 through the chrono and to my suprise, was over!!

i did not buy the gun or would not have bought the gun if i knew it was over as you have stated i could get in trouble!!

do not try and belittle me on an open forum when i was asking a reasonable question and already know as i stated that the gun was over (after chrono) and knew what was needed to bring it back down!

It would be the pellet that took the gun over limit, I did a lot of testing with pellets when I got my Ultra and did see just one shot that was 13ft/lb.

It was a Airarms field pellet that was underweight, I weighed about fifty and there was such a large variation I stopped using them, if your going to test pellets I recommend getting a set of digital scales that way you get a more accurate reading with your chrono, dont rely on printed pellet weight data.

I only use Bisley Magnum pellets in my .177 Ultra, filled to 190bar this gives me around 10.5-11 ft/lb, well under the limit and still enough stopping power.

I also use my chrono about once a month just to make sure all my airguns are legal.

Any pellet that takes your air rifle over 12 ft lbs makes it illegal regardless of weight and make. The argument that "it must have been a light pellet" would be laughed out of court. The testers can use any make, weight or type of pellet and it only takes one to break the law.

Not actually Timmy, there was an acticle in one of the airgun mags a few months ago, I`ll try and find it and link it if I can, but basically the "testers" fire a string of shots with various makes(at least five I think) then the averages are worked out and if a certain percentage of shots are over the limit then it`s a firearm and then your in the doo doo.

Well now, I have had a quick read thru my posts on this thread and I simply fail to see where I have tried to "belittle" you,staffyspen.I really could,nt give a monkeys if you bought the gun from your Nan-my concern is that you are stating ,quite openly,that your gun is capable of exceeding the legal limit.I then suggest that,as we have no idea who is on this forum,we all be a little more cautious what we write in case a forum member gets in trouble.If you insist on throwing your toys out of the pram when someone tries to keep you out of trouble then so be it.

Not actually Timmy, there was an acticle in one of the airgun mags a few months ago, I`ll try and find it and link it if I can, but basically the "testers" fire a string of shots with various makes(at least five I think) then the averages are worked out and if a certain percentage of shots are over the limit then it`s a firearm and then your in the doo doo.

You are correct but the testers are allowed to weigh and select individual pellets as well, they will do everything they can to prove their case.

Past testing has even included alterations to the rifle.

It's all a very grey and murky area unfortunately. Safety means staying around the limits you suggest but be aware of the weird and wonderful pellets that could tip you over despite you never using them.

Until there is a rigid and repeatable test regime we are all at risk of being stitched up.

Happy shooting!

Just out of interest can I ask if anyone has ever had there rifle tested? I dont mean youve heard a mate of Fred's had it done, or so and so got done once because one pellet went over 12ftlb, I mean have you ever actually had your rifle tested?

Not trying to be contentious, generally wondering what the reality of this or if its a bit of an urban myth. Not the law obviously but that they actually run checks!

I have this theory they dont check unless your doing something wrong in the first place and if your doing something wrong your already in trouble. I'm new to air rifles and only bought mine because a permission wouldnt safely allow rimfire for rabbits. When my factory bought BSA's were regulated they were both running well over the legal limit, unbeknown to me!

• 3 weeks later...

Mmmmmm-just reading your post dated 2/8 this year where you stated that you had the gun chrono'd at over 12ft/lb BY A LOCAL GUNSMITH-I assume,then,that you have reported the gunsmith in question for allowing you to leave his premises with a firearm and no relevant license?

Edited by bruno22rf