Steel shot size no.1

Quick one guys, can I shoot high perornance steel shot size no.1 through 1/2 choke? Obv my gun is steel proofed, and I thought you can put steel loads through no tighter than 1/2 choke but if the shot size exceeds 4.0mm then you can only use 1/4 choke??

Obv shot size 1 is a little larger than 4mm so would it be daft to push it through half choke?

Edited by Wildfowler69

Guest cookoff013

i wouldnt, unless it is a super steel regulated one, just for steel shot, chokes are made just for steel shot.

now, small steel can be put through chokes tighter than 1/2. but, big shot really should be shot in more open chokes.

for the steel 1 you have i`d say use cyl, see what pattern you get

then use skeet, see what pattern you get,

then 1/4 see what pattern is produced.

It's my Webley 812, 3' chambered. Steel shot proofed. I use it only for fowling. Usually use bismuth at the geese but 50carts just cost me £60 so im hoping to source some suitable steel.

I have the 912, 3". I believe the chokes are the same as on the 8 series. I use cyl and 1/4. The webley chokes don't appear to be nearly as strong as the inv+.

Just rang BASC, they said it's fine but the reason most people avoid using 1/2 choke with large steel shot sizes (#3 and larger) is because it patterns poorly! I've seen some balistic pictures online and there appears to be truth in it. Patterns are much better at 1/4 choke.

Guess the best way to find out is to pattern test.

Edited by Wildfowler69

now, small steel can be put through chokes tighter than 1/2. but, big shot really should be shot in more open chokes.

How does that work then?

Surely it doesn't matter what size the shot is. If it's contained in a wad until it leaves the barrel it's still a 'lump' of steel travelling through the choke constriction irrespective of individual shot size.

Guest cookoff013

How does that work then?

Surely it doesn't matter what size the shot is. If it's contained in a wad until it leaves the barrel it's still a 'lump' of steel travelling through the choke constriction irrespective of individual shot size.

different cip regulations for different gauges. #6 steel is classed as large when in 20 gauge, but not with the 12 gauge. the cip regulates this.

i do understand steel is steel, but big shotsizes really are harsh on a wad and barrel.

smaller flows better through forcing cone and choke restrictions.

It`s to do with a phenomenon, either real or theoretical, called "bridging". This has the potential to occur where large shot pellets enter the choke constriction, but, whereas lead is malleable and can deform, and small steel shot although hard,can still "move" within the shot column,large hard steel pellets can neither move nor deform and may form a solid bridge which will damage chokes and cause ring bulging.

Hope this helps.