range rover / x5

silpig5

awesome off road..... landcruiser :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:

the aussies use them as the tool of choice, partly due to comfort and mostly because if you break down in some places out there you tend to die before help arrives. Funnily enough landrovers don't get a look in in that situation :lol:

biggest thing would put me off most of these suggestions is the £400 a year road tax that has to smart a bit

Possibly, if not already researched, have a look at Freelander 2? worth checking out prior to getting advice from applicants for Mr No Knowledge :lol:

Mine has done 80,000 miles now, 34-38mpg, tyres last nigh on 40,000 miles, utterly reliable, (apart from rear diff' bearings which most will be sorted under warranty now), loads of room for dogs/shooting gear etc, will go anywhere I want to go including very heavy snow but possibly won't do Paris-Dakar/weekend quarry runs :rolleyes: , lovely ride quality, cheap to insure/tax/service in comparison to the bigger LR's etc...lots of models with leather/sat nav'/high end audio and so on.

You may however have to put up with jibes from the non-owner brigade and it doesn't look so 'manly' as it's bigger brothers either :lol: definately worth a look/drive before dismissed :good:

Edited by ziplex

Who said range rover is better off road than a Landcruiser :lol:???? :lol: :wacko: :wacko:

Don't think so, Landcruiser or Patrol all the way. :thumbs:

No matter that the UN, UNICEF and almost all aid organisations use them and not to mention the rain forest challenge is full of Jap stuff.

B) B) B) B) B) B) B)

the aussies use them as the tool of choice, partly due to comfort and mostly because if you break down in some places out there you tend to die before help arrives. Funnily enough landrovers don't get a look in in that situation :lol:

biggest thing would put me off most of these suggestions is the £400 a year road tax that has to smart a bit

You ever tried buying one or even getting parts for a landy in OZ alex? my brother stays in Singleton perth and most Ausie's would love a landy but the import and parts/dealer costs are just ridiculous....also, the Jap stuff is close buy and cheap to repair (same reason the UN and Unicef use them)

sure you can't convince her a disco 3 is the best option of the choices you've mentioned so far

Most sensible thing I've heard you say all year.... :lol:

Regards,

Gixer

after re-evaluating things , its a range rover . 04-05 ish . just got to find the right one . her indoors said i like the one down the road , but thats a 2010 sport which is way out of my reach . haha so the hunt is on . black , with privacy glass , pref black leather , diesal , touch screen nav ect ect , yes black is a mare to keep clean but the polish boys have a good hose and duster down the road !

finalise funds in the week and then its the hunt . happy dayz

So A's decided on a pimp mobile has she?? :no: :no: :no: :no: :no::lol:

Have to say if you get a good landy, of any type (rangie, disco, defender, freelander) they are cracking cars....I've had 4 and 3 of those have been great, not a problem and have lasted well, my current one has had niggly faults which are unfortunatley expensive to fix but aside from that it is a nice drive, comfortable, powerful and climbs over most things, and one of the major differences between the Jap cars i've had and the German/british is that the Jap stuff doesn't clean up as well after it has had a bit of abuse, usually a landrover can be caked in **** and can be cleaned up again and has withstood the pounding well....

I guess the moral is, be careful and choosey when you buy it, and be aware nearly ALL rangerover L322's (from 02 onwards) will usually need work done on the gearbox or a replacement gearbox between 80 and 100k.....

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

lets face it compared to a range rover a disco is a good buy, not the best but as he doesn't want the best a disco would suffice :lol:

Oddly enough i think the L322 Rangerovers have had less problems than the D3's!

Apparently the least problems reported of any of the models are the Freelander2's!

I assume you were speaking about another landrover model as I know you realise nothing else is up in that level of refinement, power, and ability off and on road.... :P

I did have a brief drive in a Discovery 3 and loved it, if it weren't for running costs and using it to drive daily for work i'd of had one........I think. When the FL was last in for a service at LR I stupidly sat in a new RRS, fab' motor but way out of my league sadly, if my numbers come up i'd not look anywhere else.