.410 or air rifle?

TGEvans

Had a look up of hull cartridges data sheets and they give velocity over distance for all their cartridges

Enclosed are the graphs for both 410 and 12g game loads, which may dispell some comments, you still have far fewer shot in the 410 but the velocity/range are not really that far apart, not exact match for size of shot

anyway interesting comparison for those who state 20-25 yards range

410 http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/products/game/game_and_clay_410.cfm

12g http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/products/game/three_crowns_12.cfm

Edited by ChrisAsh

.410's are a great little gun, I think it's fair to say they do have the same theoretical range as a 12 bore, as they are using the same size shot travelling at the same velocities. However in order to give a suitable pattern at distance they need to be tightly choked, and the result is a very capable charge capable of killing like a 12 but too damn tiny to actually hit the target.

If you are a good enough shot then it should do everything a 12 can, but for everyone but George Digweed it's range is limited. It is a great little round though, I like it.

As to the OP's dilemma, I've never tried a moderated .410, I understand they're reasonably quiet. As to what you're best with, it really depends on what you're shooting with it, if it's mostly moving targets a shotgun is great, and of course it can also do the stationary targets too, so a winner all round in many situations. Air rifles do have their uses too, can you stretch a budget to both, as if you keep your eyes open moderated .410's do come up fairly cheaply on here from time to time? Then make your choice when you've tried it and see what works best for you (or keep both...).

I patterned by yeldiz 410 with half choke last week and had a 22 inch wide pattern with only one hole about 4 inches by 2 inches within the pattern shot at 25 metres

There is no reason to expect poor patterns with smaller bore, maybe just a smaller pattern width relating to bore size

Cartridge used Gamebore 14ounce size 9

Edited by ChrisAsh

i have and rate highly a baikal single shot hushpower moderated 12g ......

why limit yourself to a 410, less spread, less choice of cartridges and more expensive cartridges .......my gun is very quiet and allows me to shoot both stationary and moving rabbits..........i would recommend going bigger and getting a 12g hushpower, they are very long 54inches is the gun slip/bag i have and it just fits in there very snug....i have adjusted to the sight view with the moderator (still not a fantastic shot but hit more than i miss) and dont notice the extra length when looking down the barrel, it is balanced well too........

so go for the silenced shotgun.......but get a 12g......and i am not trying to sell one like stubby :lol:

I have moderated .410 great fun whent out last sunday and shot 18 crows with it,I try to limt the range to less than 25 yrds that seems tobe the best pattern imo but each to their own,the .410 has a place in the cabenet with the 12g's & the rapid 17,

they all have a use.

cheers chris :good::good::good: