webley&scott 700 ?

Royboy

I inherited my my dads old webley&scott s/s when he passed away 11 years ago and ive recently been wondering the model of it. I just allways presumed it was a 700 but not sure. How could I find out ? I know he bought it new in the 70s and its hardly been shot. Cheers

I inherited my my dads old webley&scott s/s when he passed away 11 years ago and ive recently been wondering the model of it. I just allways presumed it was a 700 but not sure. How could I find out ? I know he bought it new in the 70s and its hardly been shot. Cheers

I would imagine that if you e-mail them with the serial number, they'll tell you.

Hi RoyBoy,

Your Webley was made in 1973. However, my book does not indicate whether this was the basic grade 700 or the slightly better grades 701 or 702.

These later guns had better (more ornate) engraving and better wood. If my memory serves me correctly both the 701 & 702 had drop points at the rear of the stock head, whereas the 700 did not. The book does not quote prices for every year of production, however a standard 700 had an ex-factory price in 1969 of £164-00. 10 years later in 1979 the cost had risen to £919. I would therefore take a guess that yours was originally sold for approx £350 to £450.

Only a half decent photo of the action will accurately indicate the exact model. My guess is it is a standard 700, which formed the bulk of the sales of the 700 Series. Trust this helps. cheers

JJsDad

Thank you very much for that information mate. Ill try and upload a picture of the stock. Do you think its safe to shoot ? Its in near mint condition so I thick it should be ok. Ive been told not to use it as it will loose its value but id never sell it anyway.

If you are saying its is in mint condition, I would suggest it is pefectly safe to shoot, with the appropriate cartridges. Have a look on the underside of the barrels; on the flats it will tell you whether its chambered for 2 1/2in. or 2 3/4in. cartridges

Providing it is free from anything other than very light pitting within the bores; and it is not `off the face`, ; i.e: the barrels do not move sideways when the gun is closed and there is no evidence of cracking in the angle of the breech face and the action flats (unlikely) I would use it with confidence.

Nice English thoroughbred and built to be used; so why not enjoy it. A good clean and wipe over at the end of the day & it will retain its value and probably outlast you !!

Edited by JJsDad