Grandsons first day on the Clays

bakerboy

Today my Grandson (9years old) had his first Clay Pigeon Shooting Lesson which was conducted by John Farley at High Wych near Harlow.

Tim used his own (mine)gun a .410 which I had cut down for him.

Tim had 30 targets right to left looping crossing birds and he managed to hit 25%, which I thougt was excellent, if he had used a 28g(next on the to buy list) I believe he would have hit a lot more.

But the most impressive thing in my mind was he understood where he was going wrong, correctly identifying the fault when asked to explain.

I think I will have to invest a bit of time and money here and see what happens. :good:

By the way he will be on PW soon as "handlebar2"

Edited by bakerboy

Hi Terry great to hear as always the youngsters getting involved in the sport. I bet you was over the moon with Tims first results.

Sounds like he is going to be a natural, great going considering he is using a .410. Most of us struggle with 28g of shot let alone the 14-16g you get with the .410

I have no doubt that with a Grandpa like your good self he'll master it in no time.

Whats all this crayfish hunting I hear about? Have you given up on the pigeons then! :hmm:

Soon you'll be trying to net the woodies! :lol:

Best regards

Lee

Congratulations to your grandson Terry, I have just in the last hour finished sorting out a 410 for my grandson to have his first try at clays this weekend, he is seven and has been pestering me to shoot some clays. First try will be his dad on the trap and me looking after him, hope he manages to hit a few.

Butch

Guest HandleBar

Well done Tim - it's good to know that you can listen to someone, because goodness knows you don't listen to me!! (your dad!!) but that's kids for you!!

Sorry Bakerboy (Dad) did you say something I didn't quite catch that!! :lol:

Always good to hear about youngsters getting into clay shooting.

Unless very young and shooting very steady targets would avoid 410's and start them off with a 20bore

as this will help them gain confidence fast and hopefully move on to excel at this great sport.

Always good to hear about youngsters getting into clay shooting.

Unless very young and shooting very steady targets would avoid 410's and start them off with a 20bore

as this will help them gain confidence fast and hopefully move on to excel at this great sport.

Hi thanks for the kind words.

Tim is a small 9 year old.

Out today to look for a 28g.

I believe that had he used a 28g yesterday he would have hit a lot more targets, with the .410 you have to be more than accurate, and is not very forgiving. The target Tim was hitting was a right to left looper.

Edited by bakerboy

Hi thanks for the kind words.

Tim is a small 9 year old.

Out today to look for a 28g.

I believe that had he used a 28g yesterday he would have hit a lot more targets, with the .410 you have to be more than accurate, and is not very forgiving. The target Tim was hitting was a right to left looper.

well done tim. :good: