shot required for orkney

kdubya

Just a quick one, I know that lead is still allowed for wildfowl inland in scotland, but I have heard that orkney has a self imposed lead free rule, is this correct? I have been invited to a goose shoot later this year and need to know what I can take ( I have a load of lead no 3 that wont get used anytime soon here!)

cheers KW

Could be that your host is going for what he regards as "best practice". Quite a lot of inland shooting is done close to the lochs, and to the burns that run into them, and he may be keen not to have lead falling into the water.

Don't worry about what to bring with you in the way of ammunition. Unless you shoot with something well out of the ordinary, like a 14 bore, you should be able to get anything you need locally. Just visit William Shearer's in Victoria Street, Kirkwall. Raymond Shearer runs a gunshop tucked away within the premises and, being a keen shooter himself, knows exactly what to have in stock for the wildfowling season. Last time I was in he had a rather nice 10 bore Browning self-loader on the rack.

If you want to check in advance, call 01856 873189. Otherwise, just ask for directions at the front counter!

Just a quick one, I know that lead is still allowed for wildfowl inland in scotland, but I have heard that orkney has a self imposed lead free rule, is this correct? I have been invited to a goose shoot later this year and need to know what I can take ( I have a load of lead no 3 that wont get used anytime soon here!)

cheers KW

Its just the same as Scotland as regards lead & there is not much in the way of forshore fowling here a few spots are ok but unlike the mainland you need permission from the land owner .

When you do come up show a little respect to the loacal shooters as there have been a few divs ! comming up in the last few years & I have noticd a growing hostility amongst some Orchadian shooters towards visiting shooters . This is mostly because of a growing number of visiting Italians ! via an Italian guide , say no more !!

Its a beautiful wild place whith a good number of Greylags some Pinks but not stacks of them , we got a few pinks last year . Watch out for White Fronts on your evening flights as they some times come into the loughs along side the greylags so lern the sound they make , its very differant to greys . If you do come up then get intouch via this site & call in for a yarn !. Good Goosing Pole Star . :beer:

Its just the same as Scotland as regards lead & there is not much in the way of forshore fowling here a few spots are ok but unlike the mainland you need permission from the land owner .

When you do come up show a little respect to the loacal shooters as there have been a few divs ! comming up in the last few years & I have noticd a growing hostility amongst some Orchadian shooters towards visiting shooters . This is mostly because of a growing number of visiting Italians ! via an Italian guide , say no more !!

Its a beautiful wild place whith a good number of Greylags some Pinks but not stacks of them , we got a few pinks last year . Watch out for White Fronts on your evening flights as they some times come into the loughs along side the greylags so lern the sound they make , its very differant to greys . If you do come up then get intouch via this site & call in for a yarn !. Good Goosing Pole Star . :beer:

will do :good: coming up nov 30th for 4 days, used to live in peterhead and often watched the st claire on its way to orkney, now at last I am getting the chance to get there, and I will have the bino's on peterhead as I go past, it will bring back many happy memories.

KW

will do :good: coming up nov 30th for 4 days, used to live in peterhead and often watched the st claire on its way to orkney, now at last I am getting the chance to get there, and I will have the bino's on peterhead as I go past, it will bring back many happy memories.

KW

Good man I will be out with a visiting gooser on the 30th but will be around for a few days after that . Good luck