How long for mixi to spread?

yankeedoodlepigeon

If your to kill a rabbit for the pot and not knowing that its got mixi (its just got it) is there any health issues for humans??

No issue for humans

I shot the first infected one Ive seen lamping Saturday night, 2 years ago it wrecked my rabbit shooting, it took a matter of a few weeks to spread through 4 villages, and then took a good year for them to recover to decent numbers again.

I really dont want it round on my farms

Alan

NB

Im sure my farmers might have differing opinions lol

I always use't to kill any that I came across that was diseased but then someone told me this some of the rabbits will get it and recover and go on to breed thus they will eventually get immune to it so to kill or not to kill that is the dilemma.

Years ago before this horrible disease came along rabbits was regarded as a staple food of the pore people but all of that ended when mixi arrived as seeing the the affect of it on the rabbits who would want to eat them.

Things are changing a little but lots of people still have that horrible picture in there minds and will never eat them for myself I think anyone who would inflict something like that on to animals should be hung.

I always use't to kill any that I came across that was diseased but then someone told me this some of the rabbits will get it and recover and go on to breed thus they will eventually get immune to it so to kill or not to kill that is the dilemma.

Years ago before this horrible disease came along rabbits was regarded as a staple food of the pore people but all of that ended when mixi arrived as seeing the the affect of it on the rabbits who would want to eat them.

Things are changing a little but lots of people still have that horrible picture in there minds and will never eat them for myself I think anyone who would inflict something like that on to animals should be hung.

A lot of sense in your statement, if you see them suffering it is hard, but there are very many now that get over it, therefore creating an immunity for the future.

Rabbits were numerous in the early fifties and did feed a lot of families whether they were poor or not, it was about the same time that food ration books were discontinued, previously meat was rationed and scarce.

It never made any sense to me why the disease was spread in the first place, after all they were still a cheap source of food, even after meat was no longer rationed.

Before myxi there were trappers going around catching them by the thousands, it was not uncommon for the cellar of a local pub to be used to store them until the weekend, when they would be cleaned by another gang, and if you could'nt clean a rabbit in a minute you was'nt wanted.

Just imagine the cellar of your local pub being full of rabbits today.

A lot of sense in your statement, if you see them suffering it is hard, but there are very many now that get over it, therefore creating an immunity for the future.

Rabbits were numerous in the early fifties and did feed a lot of families whether they were poor or not, it was about the same time that food ration books were discontinued, previously meat was rationed and scarce.

It never made any sense to me why the disease was spread in the first place, after all they were still a cheap source of food, even after meat was no longer rationed.

Before myxi there were trappers going around catching them by the thousands, it was not uncommon for the cellar of a local pub to be used to store them until the weekend, when they would be cleaned by another gang, and if you could'nt clean a rabbit in a minute you was'nt wanted.

Interesting. Have to re-consider knocking them on the head.

A lot of sense in your statement, if you see them suffering it is hard, but there are very many now that get over it, therefore creating an immunity for the future.Rabbits were numerous in the early fifties and did feed a lot of families whether they were poor or not, it was about the same time that food ration books were discontinued, previously meat was rationed and scarce.

Sorry chap but I am at odds with your suggestion.........

......... there are a FEW that get over it, the majority succumb. Nevertheless, nature is an amazing thing and who knows, mixxy may well end up as History in MANY MANY MANY years to come. So far it has taken circa 60 years and things are still not looking good!

Certainly if we go back to WW2 a lot of rabbit was "harvested" for the table, but after the war things quickly turned round and the mass of rabbits still in the wild presented a problem for the crop growers. Even though some rationing went of for years!

I am not at all convinced the introduction/spread of Mixxy will ever be 100% explained, the rumors are rife as to how it got here, the fact is the farming community wanted rid of the rabbit.

Suggestions are the rabbit population was reduced by 98% after 2 years of mixxy introduction (depends on the web site you read/believe) just the same, the generally accepted belief is there are actually MORE rabbits in the country now than when mixxy arrived!

Whichever way you want to look at it there are too many rabbits (and a few other things) out there for the way mankind wants to run the world. Just the same, Mixxy is not nice and I personally suggest a BIG mistake!

ATB!

:good:

Dekers, as you say a FEW survive, the one's that survive are our future sport, shooting everything with mixi and you are destroying the immunity.

I also dont think it will be history in many many years because history tells us that it was endemic in Monte Video for hundreds of years, the rabbits there were not killed off in big numbers.

It was when our rabbits and the one's in Australia came into contact with it for the first time that it showed how virulant it really was killing 98-99%.

As for it spreading in the 50s, some areas were wiped out early, and it was ten years later that it infected an area twenty miles away, why it was so slow spreading I dont know.

I dont think it was a coincidence that mixie arrived after food came off ration, I think the country needed wheat more than rabbit meat.

Interesting when you say there are more rabbits about now than before mixie, in areas that I know it is not a fact, but then in some areas you know it may well be true, yes nature is amazing.

Dekers, as you say a FEW survive, the one's that survive are our future sport, shooting everything with mixi and you are destroying the immunity.I also dont think it will be history in many many years because history tells us that it was endemic in Monte Video for hundreds of years, the rabbits there were not killed off in big numbers.

It was when our rabbits and the one's in Australia came into contact with it for the first time that it showed how virulant it really was killing 98-99%.

As for it spreading in the 50s, some areas were wiped out early, and it was ten years later that it infected an area twenty miles away, why it was so slow spreading I dont know.

I dont think it was a coincidence that mixie arrived after food came off ration, I think the country needed wheat more than rabbit meat.Interesting when you say there are more rabbits about now than before mixie, in areas that I know it is not a fact, but then in some areas you know it may well be true, yes nature is amazing.

I am taking your points ............ but I think we may be coming at this from different directions.

I believe you will find mixxy turned up in this country in 1953, there is debate, but most references seem to settle on this year, of course it did not arrive in every field on the same day!! :lol:

I have NO interest in Future Sport and neither do the VAST majority of my Clients/landowners (among many other sites I have 3 studs (one Polo and one previous breeder of the Horse of the Year) and a Racing Stables, etc etc etc, if I suggested saving a few bunnies for sport (or to help immunity to mixxy) they would be laughing, screaming and shouting at me as they IMMEDIATELY kicked me out the door). They want rid of the rabbit, this is something I have all but achieved on MANY sites, my involvement with these sites is now simply a limited Pest Control Operation having successfully completed a riddance program to the satisfaction of my clients. I have no interested in leaving ANY rabbits, mixxy or not, to suffer/survive to possibly build up some immunity.

Let's also be realistic here, in many cases I cannot even see if a bunny has the early stages of mixxy through a scope at 100yards and even if I could and left it, how infinitesimal do you think my contribution to immunity would be. Let me be brutally honest. I don't care. I am paid to rid sites of bunnies, I don't have any interest in Saving the bunny or a bit of shooting for the future I get plenty of ongoing work through being efficient! :yes::yes::yes:

And yes, the word was the country needed more wheat than bunny and along came mixxy :hmm::hmm: , and as I said earlier there are many suggestions of just how mixxy actually turned up in the country, and I am firmly of the opinion this will remain a question open to debate for many years, as with who killed JFK! :hmm:

With regard the TOTAL number of rabbits in the country now, this is well documented on the web, but of course it refers to a National number, there may well be fields with none and others with double the population of 60 years ago!

ATB! :good:

Edited by Dekers

It is interesting to read that almost all of you have/have had, Mixy. I see no reference to the most virulent virus affecting the wild rabbit population atm, for which mixy is being blamed. VHD or Viral Heamoragic disease. A population of rabbits can be decimated within a matter of days if VHD is contracted. Infection to death usually occurs within 48hrs. This may explain the sudden crash of some populations, Country wide. It is a contact disease spread by the Rabbits themselves, on the feet of birds and even insects that land on an infected carcase. I believe it was first seen in China in 1984, since then it has spread to Europe,UK, Austrailia, Newzealand, Isreal and Mexico. Birds and insects were thought to be the only possible cause, as the disease is not airbourne. It has since been discovered that it can also be spead by Rabbit fur products, humans, contaminated equipment etc... The symptoms are Lethargy, Spasms, a bloody discharge from the nose and vent, and blood in the urine. Sudden death. If contracted by captive bred rabbits either show or meat stock, then it is a reportable disease.

It is interesting to read that almost all of you have/have had, Mixy. I see no reference to the most virulent virus affecting the wild rabbit population atm, for which mixy is being blamed. VHD or Viral Heamoragic disease. A population of rabbits can be decimated within a matter of days if VHD is contracted. Infection to death usually occurs within 48hrs. This may explain the sudden crash of some populations, Country wide. It is a contact disease spread by the Rabbits themselves, on the feet of birds and even insects that land on an infected carcase. I believe it was first seen in China in 1984, since then it has spread to Europe,UK, Austrailia, Newzealand, Isreal and Mexico. Birds and insects were thought to be the only possible cause, as the disease is not airbourne. It has since been discovered that it can also be spead by Rabbit fur products, humans, contaminated equipment etc... The symptoms are Lethargy, Spasms, a bloody discharge from the nose and vent, and blood in the urine. Sudden death. If contracted by captive bred rabbits either show or meat stock, then it is a reportable disease.

You had to bring that up :rolleyes::lol::rolleyes::lol: now all the children will want to leave them as well, to gain some immunity so they can have some sport for next year! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist, just me being naughty again.....

:good::good::good: