First Centrefire?

adam f

I'm planning on having a chat with my FAO but thought Id gauge your views first.

Ive had a SGC for 3 years and my FAC for 1 year, on my FAC Ive got .22LR and 17HMR. Do you think I'm likey to get a Centrefire if I applied or would more experiance be needed?

Force is Dorset if that helps?

Will be for fox, so what options do I have? 22.250, 222 etc??

If you have safe ground, permission to use the calibers and a reason ( pest control is fine) then you should get the authority but it will only be for bits of land approved and checked by your FEO. You will only be able to use your rifle on teh land specified. At your first renewal it should be opened up, that means you can use it anywhere you consider is safe. Dont accept a mentoring condition, they are not legal but might become legal if all novices accepted it.

Caliber wise assuming you don't reload go for 223 or 204. They will do all you need to 300 yards. 223 may be more saleable when you want to trade up. 222 is a nice round but has been eclipsed by 223 due to its larger case capacity. 22.250 / 220 Swift, big BANG, big recoil, good killers agreed with slightly longer legs than 223, not as accurate usually as 223/222/204 and you dont get to see the bullet arriving unless the rifle is very heavy.

A

Plenty, and I mean plenty of cleared land - most of it cleared for full bore! I just didnt know whether the FAO would accept a CF after just a year of having my FAC.

Thanks for the advice - I was thinking of a 22.250, but dont like the idea of big bang and recoil and not being able to watch the bullet hit - so I guess 223, 222 etc

I'll drop her a line and see what she says!

Plenty, and I mean plenty of cleared land - most of it cleared for full bore! I just didnt know whether the FAO would accept a CF after just a year of having my FAC.

Thanks for the advice - I was thinking of a 22.250, but dont like the idea of big bang and recoil and not being able to watch the bullet hit - so I guess 223, 222 etc

I'll drop her a line and see what she says!

Dont know many really good shots that are happy with the accuracy of their 22.250, Alan (Sir-slots-a-lot) is one that comes to mind, his 22.250 goes well but I have never asked him how many impacts he see's. Normally its ok ( usually!) but only ok, you need to be shooting nice tight groups ( beware though that is addictive !!). I never saw one fox go down with my admittedly unmodded 22.250 medium weight Varmint, as for rabbits all I saw was a odd flying leg and very occasionally a somersault. These days I use a 20BR for most of my foxing, no moddy yet see every hit. It is a heavy beast but downloaded.

A

When I first applied for a CF rifle I wanted a .243 for Fox Control but my Firearms Dept wouldn't allow me a .243 and they said I could have either a .222,.223 or a .22-250.After a research on all calibres I opted for a .22-250 as I liked the very fast and flat trajectory of the bullet!

I am delighted that they turned me down on a .243 cos I wouldn't swap my .22-250 for a .243 now!

The .22-250 is a fantastic round for Fox Control and IMO the best calibre!

you should not forget the .222 just because its not the latest must have calibre, its a great round and not to much blast and bang like the 22-250 its cheap to reload and easy to shoot, i once shot 97 foxes straight with my old brno (no 98 turned as the trigger went) if i was looking for a first centrefire i would defintely consider the brno fox with the set trigger or an early cz 527 either in .222 you can always get them rebarreled to another calibre later on, you wont find a nicer action and trigger on a budget priced factory rifle

I need to shoot a few I guess and see what I like? I might be on the scrounge for Dorset CF users!!

Whilst it's tempting to go powerful and fast with the 22.250 I do like to see what I've hit.

How does a .243 compare with the 22.250?

Better on wind if you use a higher bc bullet slightly worse on drop but not by any real amount, in fairness not much in it but the .243 is way more versitile. shooting at extended range has more to do with windage than elivation - oh and real experiance :good:

you should not forget the .222 just because its not the latest must have calibre, its a great round and not to much blast and bang like the 22-250 its cheap to reload and easy to shoot, i once shot 97 foxes straight with my old brno (no 98 turned as the trigger went) if i was looking for a first centrefire i would defintely consider the brno fox with the set trigger or an early cz 527 either in .222 you can always get them rebarreled to another calibre later on, you wont find a nicer action and trigger on a budget priced factory rifle

its gotta be said there is a lot of logic here :yes: takes a fair while to shoot a .222 out though ;)

its gotta be said there is a lot of logic here :yes: takes a fair while to shoot a .222 out though ;)

my old cz 527 in .222 had over 900 foxes to it and loads of other vermin, must have nearly 3000 rounds or so and 20 years old

and it still shoots the same size groups it came with on the factory test target, you cant beat them even for a lot more money

Ive had a SGC for 3 years and my FAC for 1 year, on my FAC Ive got .22LR and 17HMR. Do you think I'm likey to get a Centrefire if I applied or would more experiance be needed?

After about a year of rimfire use I put in for a 22-250, a 6.5X55 and a .308 and got all three. Give them good reason and they can't really say no. They also upped my .22 ammo from 500/600 to 1000/1200.

I can only comment on my own experience, got open condition on my .22LR and .17HMR after 18 months. Just got my CF variation for .222 ( foxing and long distance vermin) it's closed at the moment ( only on land approved etc) but i can't prasie west yorks enough.

REading a lot of comments on here, ( i am a relative newbie) N Yorks do seem to take a more relaxed approach.