Value Bullet Company Lead Heads

Bought a box of the 240gr in .429 and they work great in my Marlin 1894, currently using Frontier 245gr copper plated which are also very good but cost twice as much!. If you want a few of each to try PM me and I'll post them to you.

edit. Using 7.3 to 8.4gr of Unique or 5.4gr of TiteGroup

Edited by phaedra1106

All cast bullets for use in rifles are best to "double lube" using Lee liquid Alox as well as the lube that comes in the groove in the bullet. The lube in the bullet is OK but not all the surfaces of the bullet that comes into contact with the barrel are lubed. So this is just an extra top up

Put about 100 in an ice cream tub along with a teaspoon of liquid Alox. Roll it around for about 5 mins until all the bullets are coated with an even coating. Then pick them out one by one (messy job) and stand them base down on a sheet of greaseproof paper so they are not touching each other and leave it for a couple of days till it sets like a hard varnish on the bullets. After that you can pick them off and load them

It really cuts down on barrel leading and makes cleaning a lot easier. A build up of lead in the barrel will slowly cause the groups to open up.

I was shown this a few years back and I now do it as standard.

Edited by Vince Green

Which is pretty much why I'm using copper plated now :)

Yes we all used the copper plated in the past but double lubing almost brings the same results. Also ironically some rifles still get leading in the barrel with the copper plated bullets because the copper can be so thin that the rifling cuts through it to expose the lead underneath.

Edited by Vince Green