Which Scope

Kes

Morning all,

I've been thinking of replacing my Deben 4-16 *56 scope for one I can use for;

1; the best light gathering characteristics,

2. A good magnification range for fox and longer (joining a club which uses 300m MoD ranges), shooting with a 200 yd zero on the rifle.

The rifle is a Remington 700 vls, 1 in 9 twist.

I've chosen 200 yds as its scope hight down below that and 2" drop 2-300yds.

I shoot most foxes sub 150yds.

I am trying to keep costs as low a possible and have seen ex demo/ s/h svaros and schmidts on York guns site at quite keen prices.

I've read most of previous posts and feel svaro, schmidt and zeiss are preferred (probably in that order). I'd like a reticule which allows for in scope MIA adjustment to keep fiddling to a minimum.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Cant go wrong with a second hand german scope, will not lose money if you want to re sell it, top range glass too! Jut bought myself a 2nd hand Schmidt and Bender 3-12x50 Klassik illuminated for half of the retail price, well chuffed, will be going on my 243 within the next month, cant wait to get with it!

Don't overlook Meopta.

A mate has a 8x56 Schmidt. With my 3-12x 56 Meostar R1 set to 8 power as well, it is impossible to split them for clarity and light gathering. The only difference is that my Meopta cost £200 less than his Schmidt. Both were second hand.

I don't think Meopta make anything above 12 mag in a 30mm tube, but then if you want light gathering you'll have to drop the mag as the light goes to get the best out of your scope whatever it is.

Top optics for the money, Meopta - I'd have mine over a Duralyt.

I'm the same as 12borejimbo,I also have a S&B 3-12x50 Klassik IR scope which I use for Fox Control and it is one superb scope which I don't think I will ever change!It's brilliant in low light too and would recommend it to anyone!!

If you want a fixed mag scope the S&B 8x56 is nothing short of superb too which I can't recommend enough!My mate had one before me and after one look through it I had to get one-Brilliant scope!!

Morning all,

2. A good magnification range for fox and longer (joining a club which uses 300m MoD ranges), shooting with a 200 yd zero on the rifle.

I am trying to keep costs as low a possible and have seen ex demo/ s/h svaros and schmidts on York guns site at quite keen prices.

I've read most of previous posts and feel svaro, schmidt and zeiss are preferred (probably in that order). I'd like a reticule which allows for in scope MIA adjustment to keep fiddling to a minimum.

Which scope specifically do you have, I can't place a 4-16x56 Deben scope, but that should do everything you have listed here anyway.

Other scopes may do it better (fractionally) but you will need to spend a LOT more!

Morning all,

kes

If you can have a look at the Zeiss duralyts. The 3-12x50 will do all you need. You have said what you budget is but new you can get this for around £600 if you shop arround. Light gathering on them is great and the glass inside is the same quality as the higher priced range of Zeiss scopes.

Regards Jon

if you are mostly doing foxes out to 150 yds i would stick with what you have , you will not gain much by spending on an expensive scope, i like a fine crosshair, meopta have a nice fine crosshair and so do the edgar brothers optimate range, i would have either of these in preference to the more expensive shmidt and bender which has a fairly thick crosshair

if you are mostly doing foxes out to 150 yds i would stick with what you have , you will not gain much by spending on an expensive scope, i like a fine crosshair, meopta have a nice fine crosshair and so do the edgar brothers optimate range, i would have either of these in preference to the more expensive shmidt and bender which has a fairly thick crosshair

not looked through a meopta but my optimate 6x44 is a cracking little scope its as clear as the docter 6x42 i use to have and the cross hairs with them been thiner are a lot better, i find mine good for lamping and at dusk/dawn which is when i shoot the most.

i've also had the 8x56 optimate and can't fault that either optically but it was too high up on the mounts for me so i got the 6x44 which is a perfect height for me.

not looked through a meopta but my optimate 6x44 is a cracking little scope its as clear as the docter 6x42 i use to have and the cross hairs with them been thiner are a lot better, i find mine good for lamping and at dusk/dawn which is when i shoot the most.

i've also had the 8x56 optimate and can't fault that either optically but it was too high up on the mounts for me so i got the 6x44 which is a perfect height for me.

docter optic seem to have finer recticles than usual

docter optic seem to have finer recticles than usual

the actual crosshair was ok in the center but it had thick posts like the european style you get on a lot of s&b 6x42, they covered a large part of the view for me, a lot of my shooting is in a wooded area so i like an unobstructed view.

my optimate has a nice thin crosshair but still thick enough for lamping and in the woods. i'll not be changing it anytime soon and i'm thinking of getting another as a spare for if ever anything happens to this one.