pigeons

billboat10

Is there any way you could decoy them to trees, or at least hide close to some trees you know regularly attract pigeon? Shooting pigeon over decoys with a shot gun can be hard enough at times, with an air gun you are relying on them not only landing amongst the deeks but also keeping still long enough. With most crops it just ain't gonna happen. There are occasions when everything can gel and a dozen or so can be shot using an air rifle but on the whole it's very hard work. Sniping them out of trees though can be effective.

What crop are you hoping they will land in?

Sometimes they just don't land if they feel the slightest thing is wrong, ie. decoys too close to cover or in the corner of a field. Leave plenty of space between the decoys so they have somewhere to land and don't expect them to stay more than a few seconds if there isn't any food.

Setting up near a tree is also a good idea as sometimes they will sit in a nearby tree until they feel safe enough to land.

many thx they are hitting the rape on the fields this is a new shoot so aint had much time to sus it out to were they like to sit i think the big problem is that this new shoot is about 600 acres of land and they just ****** off to another field will keep trying many thx for the replys may be looking for some body to come with us to show us a few tricks im from the westmidlands

there is about 4 fields with the rape in most are grass not sure yet what else he grows as i said its a new shoot only had permision last week and first went there on sunday for a few hours to see what going on he has woods pools i know i would love to shoot it with shotgun but he wont allow it well not yet and im not going to complain to him as we was lucky with it as it was the first one we asked and got it but as he gets to know us may be he will come round

I think an acre is about 75yds x 75yds, might be wrong :look:

I would just keep scouting yet, a pattern will form, sitty trees will become apparent. Roosting will reveal.

A rifle man allways has to be stealthy and find the quarries weakness :good:

I have lots of little places made into blinds with natural materials with an axe or large knife. I can move from one to the other and give it half hour and so on. A small flask and sandwich or two, perfect :good:

U.