Beginners question about chokes

Stratts

1/2 and 3/4 chokes should be fine for pigeons and pretty satisfactory for clays too.

I personally prefer to use a 1/2 and 1/2 for clays but have used 1/2 and 3/4 quite successfully on them!

The Baikal is built like a tank so as long as it is in reasonable condition when you get it the gun should last you for many years, certainly till you decide you want to upgrade - Which you will once the "bug" bites! I hope you have a big well filled wallet! :lol::lol::lol:

Happy shooting mate! :good:

To be quite honest,no.There is nothing wrong with the make,but the choke configuration isn't really suitable for a beginner unless the trap shooting you have in mind is DTL(Down the Line).But there again 3/4 isn't really suitable for pigeon.

If the trap shooting you have in mind is Sporting,and you do decide to buy the gun,you could always take it along to a good gunsmith and ask him to open the tighter choke to 1/2 or 1/4.

Shouldn't cost more than £25. :good:

My apologies Frenchieboy,I wasn't trying to contradict your advice.I went to answer the phone before posting and you must have replied before I did!I do feel however,that as a beginner,wide open chokes are the way to go.

Edited by Scully

TBH it'll only be occasional clays and mainly pigeon.

The thing is the LOP is 14 1/2" which is what I need coz I have long arms and they don't come up 2nd hand very often!

If it's as good as it sounds I think I'll get it and handy to know the chokes can be opened up if needed, thanks for that matey :good:

Just my personal opinion (tin hat at the ready) but I think choke size is sooo much less important than fit (to the point of being irrelevant). Yes, if you're starting out on clays a more open choke will give you a bigger, weaker shot pattern that is ideal for clays as it doesn't take much to break them but I wouldn't mess about with them, you'll learn to shoot with what you have.

If the gun fits, it will do you just fine.

To be quite honest,no.There is nothing wrong with the make,but the choke configuration isn't really suitable for a beginner unless the trap shooting you have in mind is DTL(Down the Line).But there again 3/4 isn't really suitable for pigeon.

If the trap shooting you have in mind is Sporting,and you do decide to buy the gun,you could always take it along to a good gunsmith and ask him to open the tighter choke to 1/2 or 1/4.

Shouldn't cost more than £25. :good:

My apologies Frenchieboy,I wasn't trying to contradict your advice.I went to answer the phone before posting and you must have replied before I did!I do feel however,that as a beginner,wide open chokes are the way to go.

No apologies necessary mate! This is what a forum like this is about, descussing different opinions (Without turning them into world war III)!

I agree with what you are saying and ideally I would recomend a 1/2 and 1/2 choke for a beginner but the way that I read it was that the OP had already agreed to buy the Baikal with 1/2 and 3/4 chokes so things can't really be changed now, and as such (in my opinion) there is no reason wht the gun would not be suitable for what he wants. I see what you are saying about getting the chokes opened up to something like 1/4 aqnd 1/2 but the problem with that surely comes in when he gets a little experience and maybe wants something with tighter chokes for general rough shooting - You can have your chokes opened up but once you have done that you can't really get them closed down again!

Edit: I have to agree totally with what the previous poster says about gun fit being the most important factor here - If your gun doesn't fit you properly then you are not too likely to comfortably hit much whatever chokes you are using!

Edited by Frenchieboy

Thanks again chaps I had sort of agreed to get it and did so (pics in this thread) http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/186947-just-got-my-1st-shottie/

It seems to fit nicely but we'll see what happens when I see a fella I know who's a BASC instructor. He'll prob tell me to get rid, lol, but I am sure I won't lose out if that's the case.

Summit a mate said if I learn with these chokes it should make me a better shot in the long run and I am not actually too bad a shot in the times I've been :good:

Cheers