First Goose of the Season

ayano3

Took another trip to Sheps this morning in pursuit of the Geese. I woke at 4am and took a look out to see it was thick fog, ideal weather for hopefully getting a shot at the geese. The dog was rearing to go the minute she see I had my gear on. Got the flask of coffee made and shared a bit of toast with the dog before picking my friend up at 04:45am. Not the fastest of journeys to the Wash due to the weather but we finally arrived to find several cars already there. No time for a drink or chat, it was gear on and get to the marsh. We decided it would be fine to sit on the cradge bank near the first horseshoe today as we wasn't sure where the other guns were!

Not long after we had had a chat and coffee we could hear the geese, its a wonderful sound when you can hear the geese what seemed only a few hundred yards away on the saltings. The first few come off quite a way from us to the sound of shots ringing in the morning fog. Finally I could hear one lone Pink behind the sea wall. I gave it a few calls and detected it was getting closer and closer. I kept calling and it finally appeared in the fog about 75 yards away. I kept well down with the dog tucked away in the grasses, I gave it another couple of call and see it do a 90* turn and head towards me, I gave it another couple of calls and as it got within range I see it set its wings to look for what it thought was another goose. At this point I thought here we go, I took it out above my head from approximately 40 yards with a Remington Sportsman Steel 1 3/8 No.2. It come crashing to the ground stone dead and dropped about 20 yards from me. The dog was looking at me waiting for the word to go, I did check to see if there was any more geese before sending the dog back for my first goose of the season.

There was many more geese floating about but only one skein come over me what were just a bit to far away to guarantee a hit, I did not want to wound one of these great birds, that has flow many thousands of miles to over-winter on the wash, only to see it wounded and drop to the ground injured somewhere far out on the marsh.

I will be going again this afternoon, different place to this morning, in hope of seeing another wonderful flight. I managed to get a few pictures but they may not be of good quality as they were taken from my phone and not a camera. Enjoy.

post-2844-0-22567000-1321792955.jpg

post-2844-0-99817600-1321792998.jpg

post-2844-0-92893100-1321793028.jpg

post-2844-0-55272900-1321793056.jpg

Well done!

I'm still waitng for my first pink on the Fenland this season,i've been really unlucky so far.

I know of a few people who've shot some geese there this season, but it's nothing like the easy pickings of last year. It wasn't unusual to see thousands of pinks flighting over at dawn in the same spot, for weeks on end - everybody seemed to be walking off with a few.

Thanks for the messages, its great when you get in the right place at the right time. I guess you wasn't about this weekend UK Fowler, well I didnt see your truck. I went again tonight on McKenzies but I was typically 100 yards out. I have had a few duck this year but the Goose I treat as a reward for my patience and 26 flights so far this season.

I agree with what you say Motty, we had far more geese last year but its far more difficult this year and really need to put the time in to be in the right place to be within shooting distance, unless you are one of the lucky ones who the geese seem to pick out. We all say the geese were late this year too, but casting my mind back many years we were lucky to hear a goose before the November Moon. So the last few seasons have spoilt us by seeing the birds earlier than the norm. There is also quite a few Widgeon at the moment, so if we dont get under the geese there's always a good chance of a Widgeon.

Harrycat, you walked right past the spot I shot the goose, but next time with some luck you will get a opportunity.

Like I said guys, many thanks for the comments, its appreciated.

Ok now for the Goose Recipe:

1 Goose.

1 Large casserole dish.

1/2lb Bacon slices.

1 Large onion.

1 Common House Brick.

Dress the goose and add the bacon slices to the goose breasts. Preheat the oven on 180*C. carefully slide in the House Brick to support the chest cavity of the bird. Put tin foil around the Goose and Bacon and put in the Casserole Dish. Dice the onion into small pieces and put around the dish. Add some water, just enough to cover the bottom of the dish.Stick it on the middle shelf of the oven and go to work for 8 hours. Arrive home and prepare some seasonal veg. Remove the Bird from the oven and leave to rest for 30 minutes. Make sure the veg has cooked perfectly and dish it up. Now the critical bit, slowly remove the bacon slices from the bird and place beside the veg. Then gently remove the house brick and put it on the bacon....then throw away the goose as the house brick will be more bloody tender and taste far better :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Edited by ayano3

That's good shooting then Nick. I took Carl the young new member last weekend on the Sunday down Kenzies and he took a nice Teal & Widgeon on the front. Phil with Dodgy Knees didnt make it that far but was with us. I had 3 widgeon. The only problem was Carl was 4 creeks over and dropped his duck the other side of the big creek that joins Kenzies almost on the mud. That meant me hopping..or wallowing over those to work the dog to get the duck, I was ****** on Monday lol.

Thanks for the messages, its great when you get in the right place at the right time. I guess you wasn't about this weekend UK Fowler, well I didnt see your truck. I went again tonight on McKenzies but I was typically 100 yards out. I have had a few duck this year but the Goose I treat as a reward for my patience and 26 flights so far this season.

I agree with what you say Motty, we had far more geese last year but its far more difficult this year and really need to put the time in to be in the right place to be within shooting distance, unless you are one of the lucky ones who the geese seem to pick out. We all say the geese were late this year too, but casting my mind back many years we were lucky to hear a goose before the November Moon. So the last few seasons have spoilt us by seeing the birds earlier than the norm. There is also quite a few Widgeon at the moment, so if we dont get under the geese there's always a good chance of a Widgeon.

Harrycat, you walked right past the spot I shot the goose, but next time with some luck you will get a opportunity.

Like I said guys, many thanks for the comments, its appreciated.

Ok now for the Goose Recipe:

1 Goose.

1 Large casserole dish.

1/2lb Bacon slices.

1 Large onion.

1 Common House Brick.

Dress the goose and add the bacon slices to the goose breasts. Preheat the oven on 180*C. carefully slide in the House Brick to support the chest cavity of the bird. Put tin foil around the Goose and Bacon and put in the Casserole Dish. Dice the onion into small pieces and put around the dish. Add some water, just enough to cover the bottom of the dish.Stick it on the middle shelf of the oven and go to work for 8 hours. Arrive home and prepare some seasonal veg. Remove the Bird from the oven and leave to rest for 30 minutes. Make sure the veg has cooked perfectly and dish it up. Now the critical bit, slowly remove the bacon slices from the bird and place beside the veg. Then gently remove the house brick and put it on the bacon....then throw away the goose as the house brick will be more bloody tender and taste far better :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yeah, the geese have been later and in far lower numbers. The most i've seen is around 3000, but that was only on one morning flight.

I've had a few wigeon, mallard,teal and even a pintail, but still no geese on the marsh.

Just out of interest, have you seen the blokes from Pestforce on your marsh this season?

They killed a hell of a lot of pinks last year on the Fenland.

Yeah, the geese have been later and in far lower numbers. The most i've seen is around 3000, but that was only on one morning flight.

I've had a few wigeon, mallard,teal and even a pintail, but still no geese on the marsh.

Just out of interest, have you seen the blokes from Pestforce on your marsh this season?

They killed a hell of a lot of pinks last year on the Fenland.

Yes I have seen the guy, I know him quite well and have shot with him on occasions. He is a good Wildfowler and pretty much stops work during the season in the pursuit of the Geese. He is a member of several of the clubs around the Wash so follows the geese. He is also a good shot as he shoots clays for England. I have met him on a few trips this season. He never shoots the duck, just the Geese.

Yes I have seen the guy, I know him quite well and have shot with him on occasions. He is a good Wildfowler and pretty much stops work during the season in the pursuit of the Geese. He is a member of several of the clubs around the Wash so follows the geese. He is also a good shot as he shoots clays for England. I have met him on a few trips this season. He never shoots the duck, just the Geese.

Yeah, he told me he shoots for GB sporting team. I was quite impressed by some of the high geese he killed last year. I've only seen him twice this season, perhaps because the pinks haven't been around in the same numbers as last year.

He does take some good birds, I see him shoot one a couple of weeks ago and only fire one shot !!! he was annoyed as his Winchester sx3 had jammed after the first shot <_< . He only uses homeloads one of his friends produces, but they sure work well.

Edited by ayano3