.17hmr Blowing up

reefman

My friends Marlin 917 blew up on him showering his hand with burst cartidge case.

The cause of this was a fault in the bolt,and a slight gap between it and the breach.He'd only put abpot 1000 rds through from new

I have also read a report of this occuring on a Marlin .17 hmr on Varmint .com,but can't find it again to link to this post.

Has anyone else heard of this happening ,if so what gun and round was faulty.

Reefman :yes:

If you ask me, I would say this was a premature fire of the pin apon closing the bolt.

This can happen on all bolt actions, but its very rare..

Sounds like a malfunction in the bolt, causing it to fire when the bellet was not fully seated in the chamber, causing the pressure in the bullet to burst outwards.

Being the case of an HMR, this gap would have had to be pretty obviously big, as the HMR does not produce as much pressure unlike a .243 etc. So the gap would have to be a good 3mm or more to do this.

It will be a cz for me when I get the .17.

I have a Marlin 880 in .22 lr it has an absolutly diabolical trigger pull ,7 lb.

However it owes me nothing so I will keep it.(any body know a fix for an 880 trigger;don't suggest burning it!)

I did see this 17,we think the bolt hanlde was placed too far forward thus causing the gap,the malfunction occured when pulling the trigger not closing the bolt.

I bet he jumped out of his skin,I would!

The only thing like this that I have experience of was an acquaintance who put the wrong powder in a 0.17 Rem, plus far too much powder.

He was extremely lucky not to lose a large chunk of his hand.

It taught him a lesson to be more methodical in his reloading! Until then he had been a bit casual, and I had always been appalled to see powders, primers and bullet heads of various weights for various calibres scattered on his bench.

Prior to this incident I had been out with him lamping, with him as the shooter. He lined up on an easy fox 100 yards away, and the gun went click. "Whats gone wrong?" he whispered. "It didn't go off" I said!

Turned out that he had not loaded the case with powder!

Don't go out with him anymore, as he was a bit casual about safety as well.

Don