roost shooting

southeastpete

I'm going to give roost shooting a go on wednesday, and I'm just wondering if people think its better to stand by the edge of the woods and shoot the birds as they come in, or to find their favourite trees by the telltale feathers and poop and stand under them? I'm leaning toward standing inside the woods as they are less likely to see me I think.

Many thanks,

Pete

Some local knowledge of flight lines and local pigeon habits is a great aid to success in roost shooting. Failing that if you are among softwoods look for larches or lone hardwoods , these are where pigeon like to perch before dropping into roost in the denser conifirs. In any breeze at all, stand with yoput back to the wind as pigeon really need to land into it.

Blackpowder

standing on the edge of the wood does work well, but need to find the flight line or its pointless u will have to stand realy still when birds are coming and camo up well too, i tend to stand in the wood find a nice little spot where there are nice gaps in the tops of the tress and i time my shot for when the birds goes through these gaps. Also look at the floor of the wood for lots of pigeon poo because the pigeons obviously roost in the trees above. hope this helps and Good luck

Edited by Matt Gould