Auto clay counter at shooting ground

Blackpowder

If this is the ground I think it is, I find them to be very accommodating and friendly.On my first visit when I returned the counter I was immediately deducted 10% for no birds and on a further visit with 3 friends we shot a lot of clays, were given 10% for no birds and given the clays at club rate. This is a first class ground and I cannot explain how the counter jumped but the owners are more than fair but obviously have the odd group who try it on, not that I `m saying that yours is not a genuine complaint, but I have never had a malfunctioning counter on any of the grounds I`ve visited.

Bill

I've shot thousands of self service clays across multiple clubs and systems and I've never seen a clay counter 'jump' 45 clays.

One club I go to you pay up front, and they give you an extra 10% for breakages. If you get a lot, they'll usually refund you anyway. Another ground I go to you pay after, and they ask how many breakages you had.

I'd have probably stopped shooting and returned it to them immediately, but it's easy to say that with hindsight. I wouldn't have stomached paying for it though.

If this is the ground I think it is, I find them to be very accommodating and friendly.On my first visit when I returned the counter I was immediately deducted 10% for no birds and on a further visit with 3 friends we shot a lot of clays, were given 10% for no birds and given the clays at club rate. This is a first class ground and I cannot explain how the counter jumped but the owners are more than fair but obviously have the odd group who try it on, not that I `m saying that yours is not a genuine complaint, but I have never had a malfunctioning counter on any of the grounds I`ve visited.

Bill

No one could dispute it is a first class shooting ground, I certainly am not. My issue is that the owner thought I was trying to pull a fast one, which I was not.

Blackpowder

I'd have probably stopped shooting and returned it to them immediately, but it's easy to say that with hindsight. I wouldn't have stomached paying for it though.

As said earlier we were complete novices at "self service" clays, if it happened again I would indeed stop shooting and return the counter.

Blackpowder

Were you shooting by yourself ?

Just a couple of comments you made - you said you shot 30 out of 50 at the high tower then went on to shoot other stands.If you were on your own there would have been 50 on the counter before you moved onto other stands.You then say it jumped from 45 to 91, that bit I don`t understand, could it be you miss read the counter before the big jump ?

Bill

Were you shooting by yourself ?

Just a couple of comments you made - you said you shot 30 out of 50 at the high tower then went on to shoot other stands.If you were on your own there would have been 50 on the counter before you moved onto other stands.You then say it jumped from 45 to 91, that bit I don`t understand, could it be you miss read the counter before the big jump ?

Bill

Hi Bill I did have someone with me pressing the button, shot some at theb high pheasant then went to give them a shot at some of the other stands, and this is where the counter went wrong. At the pool stand we were not getting a bird from the trap chosen, the same happened at another stand so returned to the high pheasant. As said earlier only 75 cartridges were taken to the stands.

Blackpowder

Hi Bill I did have someone with me pressing the button, shot some at theb high pheasant then went to give them a shot at some of the other stands, and this is where the counter went wrong. At the pool stand we were not getting a bird from the trap chosen, the same happened at another stand so returned to the high pheasant. As said earlier only 75 cartridges were taken to the stands.

Blackpowder

If you only had 75 cartridges you can only have had 75 clays. I`m not questioning your integrity by any means but I have shot there many times and found them the best and easiest to deal with than all the other grounds I visit and I`m disappointed that you had a bad experience.

Bill

the ground that i normally shoot at has a delay button for solo shooting, but on certain stands that same button is credit 25 clays, (read before you press) on pressing the button just once it will put 25 on your counter, then for the next 25 clays released it will not put them on your counter as its already been done, ( i think its for group shooting ), so as you can see you would only have to press that button twice and you've just put 50 on your counter,

I pressed it by accident once, so i removed my counter and moved on, but after explaining it to the shop they just deducted 25 from my bill, the next time i pressed it by accident i just shot 25 at that stand. I haven't done it a third time. :blush: