Auto clay counter at shooting ground

Blackpowder

After four desperate pheasant shoots when I scarcly touched a feather I went for a day at a local clay pigeon ground and did manage 30 out of 50 from the high tower. But. After going to try a few rounds at different stands found that the counter had jumped from 45 to 91 with only one bird from the crossing pigeon stand. I am not a regular clay shooter and had never before had the auto counter handed to me and told just to plug it in. Can these things mis count? It must be said that this clay ground is up for sale and on some of the stands no birds came when the , "pull" button was pressed. With only 75 cartridges bought at the ground I would have expected to have between 80 and 90 clays on my bill. However despite my protest the proprietress charged for over 150 clays but gave me a 25 cartridge belt with Sellior and Belliot cartridges as,'compensation'! Have I been ripped off?

Blackpowder

i'm not sure how they can malfunction but i've heard a couple of stories similar, personally i wouldn't pay for any birds i didn't have, i wouldn't care how much they argued, but i would have notified them immediately. but to be fair they probably have to put up with chancers all the time, at least you got something back out of it as a goodwill gesture.

When I been to a ground that uses a counter it still records a clay even if no clay is thrown, never had a problem with these being knocked off the total count. They just want to know which trap is not working.

Normally shoot around 250 cartridges and the max failures I have had is about 14, usually only from one or two of the traps.

As said above they all count when the button is pressed, irrespective of whiter a bird comes out or not.

If you get to a stand that is no birding/not working move onto the next and tell the ground staff. Never ceases to amaze me how many people just keep pressing away and then are shocked when they think the number on the counter looks high!

I was at a shooting ground recently which had a new computerised system on one of the stands.

It was counting two clays for every one clay which was released.

I don't know what went wrong with the system, but I only paid for the number of clays that were released.

To answer your question it is possible for auto counters to mis-count!

as my wife and i found out last week with a empty trap ! but they met us half way .

I've very surprised you didn't notice the trap cycling and 2 and 2 didn't come together to equal loss of clays...

Is it not common sense that if the trap is cycling it will count it as using one clay up whether it has thrown one out or not :blink:

One of the bigger grounds I have shot at operates a token system and operate a system of giving you a 15% allowance to see targets and to cover broken birds. this seemed to work quite well and would often end up with you getting a couple of extra free targets at the end of the round.

It seems a bit tight operating this sort of system without a breakages allowance though!

I've very surprised you didn't notice the trap cycling and 2 and 2 didn't come together to equal loss of clays...

Is it not common sense that if the trap is cycling it will count it as using one clay up whether it has thrown one out or not :blink:

unfortunatly , at the taverham ground we use most traps are deep in undergrowth and you cannot see them , let alone hear them cycling , it didnt help either that it was only the 2nd time my mrs had been shooting and in charge of button , so god knows how many times it was pressed .

unfortunatly , at the taverham ground we use most traps are deep in undergrowth and you cannot see them , let alone hear them cycling , it didnt help either that it was only the 2nd time my mrs had been shooting and in charge of button , so god knows how many times it was pressed .

First thanks for all the replies, but no one seems to have had the massive doubling in clay numbers with one press of the button. Although we were both complete novices at operating the traps I dont think we fired of very many'no birds'. It has been suggested shoot the trap , mm must take some BBs :D if I ever go back.

Blackpowder

On a different system, where you have x number put on the counter/card and count down , on a sportrap layout it may take upto 25 of the card in one hit depending on the button you hit, were there any stands with more than two traps to choose from i.e. 8 to 10 stands ?

Mike

First thanks for all the replies, but no one seems to have had the massive doubling in clay numbers with one press of the button. Although we were both complete novices at operating the traps I dont think we fired of very many'no birds'. It has been suggested shoot the trap , mm must take some BBs :D if I ever go back.

Blackpowder

what shoot was it blackpowder? was it the one near selkirk?

Oh I see :lol:

Edited by Beretta Italy