left and right commands

roadkill

Just a quick video i did today with the cocker doing left and right commands , She did move from the drop once , please let me know if you see any problems with this or does she look like she is doing it right .

all comments welcomed good or bad

roadkill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGshwVAoB_8&feature=plcp&context=C277cfUDOEgsToPDskIjzs2I7G9vMC-4ojDvNT21

looks good, just a couple of things i have picked on on the way

after watching the training dvds i would walk the dog to heel on/off lead and then sit the dog up.

i then walk away and facing the dog i throw a dummy to one side or to both sides.

depending on the dogs eagerness :lol: i decide which dummy she will fetch...normally giving a clear hand signal or including a voice command.

in the video you gave the recall whistle, but did you need to?

the dog was returning to you, so just ask yourself if the dog knows the recall whistle great! if it will return to you as in the video why blow the whistle...if you need to work on the recall whistle maybe do this in a seperate lesson.

when the dog comes in with the retrieve make a fuss of the dog, so it gets praise for returning to you and not delivering the dummy, then give the dead command, difficult i know when also filming.

keep the good work up :good:

:good: Even better that she moved a bit after the stop and corrected no bother, if she had done anything wrong on the whistle she could have been forgiven in that wind. :good:

Just a small point on the sending her and stopping her. When you shouted get back to send her to the right, you gave her the stop whistle half way, as you were holding the camera with your left hand(in the shadow)it means the whistle was in your right hand and you were bringing it up to your mouth to peep with, if you look at when you peeped her to the stop...she stopped great, but then your hand movement in moving the whistle with your right hand away from your mouth(ready to shout her to get back the other direction) gave her the impression you were sending her in the direction she started out going. She did well to make the change.IMO. I could be wrong though.

Edited by straightbarrel

looks good, just a couple of things i have picked on on the way

after watching the training dvds i would walk the dog to heel on/off lead and then sit the dog up.

i then walk away and facing the dog i throw a dummy to one side or to both sides.

depending on the dogs eagerness :lol: i decide which dummy she will fetch...normally giving a clear hand signal or including a voice command.

the dog was returning to you, so just ask yourself if the dog knows the recall whistle great! if it will return to you as in the video why blow the whistle...if you need to work on the recall whistle maybe do this in a seperate lesson.

when the dog comes in with the retrieve make a fuss of the dog, so it gets praise for returning to you and not delivering the dummy, then give the dead command, difficult i know when also filming.

Many thanks for the feedback all , I just assuemed that everytime the dog recalls i should give the whistle also im the same with the sit whistle when she is next to me with the dummy even though she sits straight away . So im fine to drop these and only use them if she doesn't come back ...... I will also try walking aweay and throwing the dummy to either side and have noted to give more praise . Like you say though it was hard work today with the wind and filming but could fun and the dog loved it

Cheers roadkill

:good: Even better that she moved a bit after the stop and corrected no bother, if she had done anything wrong on the whistle she could have been forgiven in that wind. :good:

Just a small point on the sending her and stopping her. When you shouted get back to send her to the right, you gave her the stop whistle half way, as you were holding the camera with your left hand(in the shadow)it means the whistle was in your right hand and you were bringing it up to your mouth to peep with, if you look at when you peeped her to the stop...she stopped great, but then your hand movement in moving the whistle with your right hand away from your mouth(ready to shout her to get back the other direction) gave her the impression you were sending her in the direction she started out going. She did well to make the change.IMO. I could be wrong though.

Yes was hard work for her to hear with the wind , And yes you are correct i confused the dog moving about my hands trying to film and stop her . The first thing i was told is that it is never the dog at fault always the handler :blush:

:good: got a springer if ya fancy a challenge :lol::lol:

If your ever down my way then your more than welcome to come out with me .

roadkill

I purchased the Buccleuch gundog DVD set and i have to say there is some excellent info in those....I also brought a book off here Training and field trials by PRA Moxon, and the information contained in both are quite similar, and makes sense to me.

There are some clever guys on here who may be able to assist you with training techniques and the best advise i can say is do what works for you and the dog, or maybe i should say the dog and you :lol:

I was told that if the dog is coming back to you, why issue a command, and on the day if you were in a test situation you will look so much more of a cool dude, then the other bloke blowing the hell out of a whistle :lol::lol::D

the dog was returning to you, so just ask yourself if the dog knows the recall whistle great! if it will return to you as in the video why blow the whistle...if you need to work on the recall whistle maybe

I think the main reason for that recall whistle was not to help train the dog to understand the recall whistle, it was to encourage the dog straight back with the retrieve, bearing in mind she also has one of her minds eyes on the other dummy. That little pip back does no harm and in fact can be the difference in a young dog succeding or failling with a lesson like that. Why take the chance? IMO

Edited by straightbarrel