The Weradale Shoot

figgy

I am hoping some of the pigeon watch shooting fraternity have some experience or local knowledge of this shoot.

Myself and three other guns have booked a day, and are hoping it will give some good shooting with topography of weardale, it's just past Tow Law I've been told.So come on lads spill the beans good or bad.

ATB figgy

i know it well the hospitality is second to none but shooting itself poor with no pickers up and a non existent beating line. The duck flight should be worthwhile there were also a few thousand Partridge and pheasant down but bizarrely they let the braes ride through so the birds are well and truly scattered. I hope I'm proven wrong and they have put things right for you tomorrow.

Atb

Albertan j Thanks for the heads up.I hope they have it sorted out now,as its all well and good having decent hospitality,but its the shooting that people pay and go for,being a good host is secondary.What was it they let ride through it scattering the birds,bikes, is this the Place online where you can do quads and archery among other stuff?

When did you shoot there.

ATB figgy

Edited by figgy

The Hunt Braes of Derwent horses and hounds right through drives! Friends of mine shot there earlier this season and I shot it twice last season. They are decent people but not experienced and in over their heads. I hope they have turned it around and you get a cracking day, but if you turn up and there aren't many beaters or any pickers up I'd be wary.

Got say its the best days shooting I and the the lads who went with me have had.A real red letter day for me,I managed to bag Pheasant,French Partridge,English Partridge,Duck,Woodcock,and and two Hares,hitting game on every drive I'm still grinning from ear to ear. Three other guns strangers before today,two dad and lad one dad acompanying his son on his frist shoot not shooting today himself and are booking the same day next year with us and the other dad and lad is now coming on a different shoot with us, made some good friends today.

The gale force wind presented some problems with 80-90 mph pheasant and partridge screamers, but when you hit a few,oh the joy and not just from staying your feet and keeping the cap on.

A few of the drives could not be done due to the weather, so they gave us others to compensate.As you said not the most experienced people but they have bags of will and pluck and try very hard, maybe learning from past days and flying the birds better out of the drives.

As you also said a cracking duck drive with many duck far to high for a twelve gauge.I managed to down five all high, but one of them a very high bird will not be forgotten in a long time landed a hundred meters or more further down the field.

On one drive I got one Partridge red leg and then a left and right Pheasant and Woodcock sadly missed a few Pheasant that should have been in the bag.

We found on some drives high on top where the wind was behind the birds the human body has difficulty twisting fast enough to get a second or in some cases a first shot at themwhen they suddenly curl your way.

Some really nice sized covey's of English Partridge slipped out with out a shot at them but on a memorable drive,a covey of about twenty Englishmen came straight over me,I took my first shot hitting one when they were 40 yards out, my second shot was directly overhead missed but the bird I hit landed about 40 yards behind me.all in all a very memorable day, sat here now with a cognac warm beside the fire recalling the best shots of my day.

ATB figgy

Glad it worked out for you Figgy sounds like they are turning things around and learning from experience. Seem to be plenty of woodcock about hopefully I'll have the chance of a few on Saturday just up the road :good:

Just reread your post a left and a right along with a high duck you must be well pleased!

Edited by Albertan_J