A week of firsts

Jonesie

Thought I would write up my last week before Christmas seeing as it was such a good one.

My good luck started on Wednesday the 21st when I went for a day shooting with Okehampton Woodcock Club. It was my first time shooting with the club and i couldn't have had a better day. A really good bunch of lads who showed the newcomer great hospitality. I'd like to thank to Dale (truckboy) especially for putting on all the hot pegs. I managed to shoot my first snipe followed by my first woodcock, well three actually. I almost managed a left and right during the evening flight (it was separated by about 5 seconds). I still can't wipe the smile off my face. I would highly recommend a day shooting with the club to anyone! It's great fun if you don't mind a bit of heavy cover.

post-42948-0-92187000-1325718547.jpeg

The next day I was off to try and bag my first deer. This would be my fifth attempt and with an upcoming move to Australia I was especially keen to get one before I left. I arranged the trip with Ian Farrington (IANF), we decided on some range tuition followed by an evening and morning stalk. Ian is a true professional whose expert tuition really helped to give me some confidence in various shooting positions we were likely to encounter in the stalks to follow. The evening session we staked out a likely crossing spot but the deer just didn't materialise. The next morning, after a near opportunity at a roe, we finally found a suitable fallow at about 80 yards in quite dense woodland. I thought my heart was going to explode when Ian instructed me to take the shot. The shot rang out and the deer bolted. I saw the shot hit and I was pretty sure it was good. I was very concerned at that point as the last thing i wanted was a injured deer. However once we located the shot location we found the deer lying only 10 yards away. Relief poured over me and my smile grew even more. After being expertly shown through the gralloch and a quick carry out I was on my way home. Ian is a top bloke who really knows his stuff. I learnt so much in a such a short time.

post-42948-0-69333000-1325718572.jpeg

Those couple of days will stick in my memory for a long long time. My first deer, woodcock and snipe.

ATB

Rich