The Swiss cheese chasis from a 51 plate Disco

Alex C

Hi fellas,

Mate of mine has a 51 plate Disco which was noted on his last MOT will need some welding on the chassis. Well on Sunday we got under it and had a look. We gave it a prod with a screw driver, then another and the more we poked at it the more holes we found. The bits directly under the front doors seems to be worse for some reason?

Now to the question. Can i just clag a patch over the top of the hole or do i need it to sit flush with the rest of the chasis ? Do i need to weld the patch all round or can i get away with stitching it?

Cheers

Thanks for the replies.

We will be spending most of Sunday under it so should get it done in a day. I have a mig for tacking up then i will stick the rest if i can get away with it.

Will make a change for me to get my hands dirty again, been a while. :D

Will let you know how i get on but from what i have seen of it the best case would be it bursting into flames and he could then claim on the insurance ! :lol:

If you were nearer I'da offered to help you out :P

Just remember remove or disconnect the battery and do not weld near the fuel or brake lines if not you go boom :) plus watch out for the electronics inside the chassis rails, try to weld those areas in stages to avoid melting them